Capturing from iTunes?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Farasha
Org Profile

Capturing from iTunes?

Post by Farasha » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Is there any way to do it or am I just SOL? iTunes gives me this excellent DVD-quality footage (with no subtitles :shock: ) that I would love to use, but it's kind of useless to me if I can't figure out how to convert it from the iTunes file type, which I can't do anything with, to something like an .avi which I can do something with.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:48 pm

You bought it from the iTunes Video Store, right?

It's not nearly as high-quality as you think. It is lossily encoded and also encrypted.

Farasha
Org Profile

Post by Farasha » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Ah, boo. I guess I'll be buying some DVDs then. Thanks though :)

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:25 am

Kalium wrote:You bought it from the iTunes Video Store, right?

It's not nearly as high-quality as you think. It is lossily encoded and also encrypted.
Seconded. At certain points the macroblocking is rather atrocious.

But anyway,
As long as these two important conditions are met:

A) You have the proper licenses for the videos (i.e. you bought the videos yourself)
B) You're running a recent version of iTunes (at this time of writing, that's 7.7.1.11, but really just anything 7.6 and above, I think)

Then you can use Requiem 1.7.3 to at least get rid of the encryption. You're on your own as far as finding the program, though. Apple is rather bitchy about it being available for download, although the info about it is pretty readily out there. Once the encryption is gone, though, it can be converted just like any other H.264 MP4 file.

Generally speaking, though, yeah, I'd go with the DVDs.

guardiansoulblade
Org Profile

Post by guardiansoulblade » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Since this is about iTunes can I ask this question. Is it okay to use music you bought from iTunes in your videos? I mean, I bought tons of music and I just want to make sure I'm okay and that I won't get kicked out of here, once I start a project (Saving up for Bleach DVDs) And a lot of it is DRM free, so can I use my purchased music from iTunes in my AMVs?

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Yes.
... yea ...

guardiansoulblade
Org Profile

Post by guardiansoulblade » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks, I really, really want to abide by the rules, this site is awesome. I mean, everybody posts on YouTube, but this place is specials, because you're not considered a "pirate" here because you have to own everything you use when making AMVs and that makes me feel better about making these.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:29 pm

Don't misunderstand, though. It's still illegal in the eyes of the law. It's just that this hobby is largely overlooked by those in charge of enforcing such rules.
... yea ...

guardiansoulblade
Org Profile

Post by guardiansoulblade » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Yeah, but it's too much of a hassle for the big companies to sue the site, especially when the people who make the AMVs actually bought the real copies and didn't bittorrent it, and the site does respect companies who said, "We don't want such and so songs on this site, or such and so footage of a certain anime on this site." And this site isn't nesrly as big as YouTube, and with the strict, "No downloaded footage allowed" rule, it limits who can join here.

guardiansoulblade
Org Profile

Post by guardiansoulblade » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Yeah, but it's too much of a hassle for the big companies to sue the site, especially when the people who make the AMVs actually bought the real copies and didn't bittorrent it, and the site does respect companies who said, "We don't want such and so songs on this site, or such and so footage of a certain anime on this site." And this site isn't nearly as big as YouTube, and with the strict, "No downloaded footage allowed" rule, it limits who can join here.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”