How to rip Dragon Quest VIII videos?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
nitro322
Org Profile

How to rip Dragon Quest VIII videos?

Post by nitro322 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:15 pm

I recently started ripping all of the FMVs from my Playstation and Playstation 2 games, and have so far have been able to rip just about all of them using the tips found on this forum and elsewhere. However, one game that I haven't been able to make any progress with at all is Dragon Quest VIII.

There's a dq8tomov ripper from Project FAO, but that doesn't work for me. I seem to get some kind of error message when I try to use it, but the message is in Japanese so I have no idea what it says. I've tried several variants on the general-purpase ripping guide posted by Castor Troy, but I've had no luck with that, either. Everything else I've tried has failed as well.

Does anyone know how to get these videos? If I just mount the DVD on my computer I can see a MOVIES folder, containing a bunch of .MVI files, but I can't figure out how to play/extract/transcode them. At this point, I'm completely stumped, and I haven't been able to find any discussion specifically regarding DQ8.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

nitro322
Org Profile

Post by nitro322 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:16 am

Hmm... I searched this forum a good dozen times or so about DQ8 before posting this, and yet I just now stumbled across this thread:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=61001

Figures. :-)

Unfortunately, it doesn't look promising. That thread is almost 3 years old now. Have there been any new developments since then?

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:59 am

Unfortunately, no. There haven't been any new developments as far as I know. DQ8 is just one of those games you'll have to capture footage from yourself (unless of course you can find someone knowledgeable enough to modify DQ8tomov to work for the English version). Sorry.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”