Ripping Final Fantasy X FMV videos

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
jwhit265
Org Profile

Ripping Final Fantasy X FMV videos

Post by jwhit265 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:02 am

Theres a program out there which I forget the name which extracts .m2v and .wav files off the disc so need to do anything else but join the two files. The .wav file is fine but the .m2v file skips frames and looks a little low quality.

Another program I used ejected .pss files but when I used pss demux it said they were not .pss files.

I've already ripped final fantasy x-2 fmvs and would like to be able to also have the fantasy x fmvs.

jwhit265
Org Profile

Post by jwhit265 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:39 am

Ok I found out when playing the video is actually playing rapidly as i found by playing with vlc media player. But in windows media player it seems to be skipping, possibley too fast for it to process. The fps is 25 which is normal. Why would it be playing so fast?

ffxdean
Org Profile

Post by ffxdean » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:57 pm

the M2v files from Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts 1 are huffman compressed so Windows media player and VLC have a hard ime encoding them as the format isnt relatively used that much (especially not in m2v). Although to try and prevent it from skipping, convert it to an AVI format using a lossless codec and if you want you can then convert to the AVI back to m2v then mux it together.

looks a little low quality
Unfortuantly thats the way it is. You cannot get a better quality image than that im afraid :(. Although you can try to enchance the quality but using some avisynth scripts.

I too have the PAL version of the game and the quality is (IMO) awful especially when you compare it to the NTSC version of the game (infact all NTSC Game FMV's are better than the PAL ones).

Hope that solves your problem.

BTW use TMPGenc to convert the M2vs to avi. Its the most compatible.

OnnaVidel
Org Profile

Post by OnnaVidel » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I've been having the same problem. I have the FF X-2 clips from the disk. I was following really old guides before. I managed to get the FF X cut scenes ripped but they play waaayyyy too fast. Is there another way? Does anyone have excellent quality cut scenes?
~ Satan Videl

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:47 am

Well you can use the Final Fantasy X fmv ripper...if you used that and you're having those issues, then I don't know what could be wrong.

OnnaVidel
Org Profile

Post by OnnaVidel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 pm

I've tried several different ways, and I believe that was one. If you have a suggestion, please pm me. :D
~ Satan Videl

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 pm

Upload one of the fmv's for me onto a site like rapidshare.de or megaupload.com. I'll take a look at it and post a method to fix your problem if I can find one out. I'd post some suggestions, but this would probably be a lot easier and faster.

ffxdean
Org Profile

Post by ffxdean » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:05 pm

OnnaVidel wrote:I was following really old guides before. I managed to get the FF X cut scenes ripped but they play waaayyyy too fast. Is there another way? Does anyone have excellent quality cut scenes?
Do you have PAL or NTSC. Ntsc is much superior to PAL in terms of CG footage and Anime. As most infact all cg footage ripped directly from NTSC footage are original untouched progressive footage where as PALs been reconverted, interlaced, frames blended etc.

I would also suggest you convert the mpegs to AVI lossless, so they can play correctly. Im not going to explain why they wont play properly (in your case it plays too fast)....... So basically convert it, as it will solve all your roblems.

sayde
Org Profile

Post by sayde » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:26 pm

OnnaVidel resolved the issue. It had to do with the programs he was using to rip the footage. Apparently, the programs were skipping a lot of frames during the extraction process. That's why the footage appeared to be playing so fast. Once he discovered (or rather re-discovered) an fmv extractor that worked correctly, the problem was solved.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”