Help! Ripping problem! Anyone have Gravitation TV series?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Help! Ripping problem! Anyone have Gravitation TV series?

Post by Honou_Miko » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm

....And preferably Xilisoft DVD Ripper.

For some reason, whenever I try to rip ONE scene, the resulting video clip is choppy. It's supposed to pan up slowly, but it's not a smooth pan... it stops every couple of seconds... and it looks even worse when I slow the clip down for my project.

So... I was wondering if anyone out there that owns the Gravitation TV series could help me out. I've already done editing so I'd like to keep the clip location exactly the same, so that my program will just use the new file instead of the old jerky one, and my editing work won't change. I'm looking for Disc 3, Title 3. The clip starts at 00:01:27, and it ends at 00:02:15 (48 second duration). I'm using DivX AVI format.

Or, if someone knows how to remedy this problem, let me know. The DVD itself plays fine and smoothly, so I don't know why it's ripping this way.

Thanks, I hope...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: Help! Ripping problem! Anyone have Gravitation TV series

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Honou_Miko wrote:I'm using DivX AVI format.
this is a problem, and the rest sounds like it might have angles... find out if there is a way to choose a camera angle in your ripper and rip the DVD again after choosing an angle (or use DVD Decrypter cause it DOES have the ability to choose angles) and see if that fixes the problem

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Re: Help! Ripping problem! Anyone have Gravitation TV series

Post by Honou_Miko » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
Honou_Miko wrote:I'm using DivX AVI format.
this is a problem, and the rest sounds like it might have angles... find out if there is a way to choose a camera angle in your ripper and rip the DVD again after choosing an angle (or use DVD Decrypter cause it DOES have the ability to choose angles) and see if that fixes the problem
The thing is, I tried it in MPG and it did the same thing.... I just tried fiddling with the frame rate and it didn't help. I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with my actual DVDs.

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:57 pm

EDIT: Never mind about it being only one clip, it's doing the same the same thing in my next clip. For crap's sake, snow doesn't STOP while it's falling. :x

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:59 pm

MPG isn't a good choice either. Try to rip in a lossless format. (Huffyuv, Lagarith, uncompressed, etc.) Your editing program should like something with keyframes at every frame as opposed to distribution codecs (divx, xvid, mpg).
... yea ...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:00 pm

uh that's just a general rule... MPEG isn't a good idea either, you want to edit with either uncompressed or lossless (lagarith or Huffyuv) avi ... all of which make large files, so clipping is a good idea... Divx/Xvid has been known to cause several problems...

however, did you try taking my suggestion and ripping it again, and finding in your program a place to select a camera angle? I don't know your program at all so I can't tell you where to find them.

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:48 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:Image

uh that's just a general rule... MPEG isn't a good idea either, you want to edit with either uncompressed or lossless (lagarith or Huffyuv) avi ... all of which make large files, so clipping is a good idea... Divx/Xvid has been known to cause several problems...

however, did you try taking my suggestion and ripping it again, and finding in your program a place to select a camera angle? I don't know your program at all so I can't tell you where to find them.
I don't have the time tonight to look at that... but I think this has officially sealed the deal that (drumroll for idiocy on my part) I need to stop using MovieMaker. Yeah, I know. Duh. My projects thus far have either been simple enough that it doesn't matter, or just more of a hobby so I haven't been TERRIBLY concerned about super-super high quality (but don't worry, I still put a lot of thought into it... I don't make crappy youtube slideshows and call it an AMV). But... I think my video-making career has just reached a time in its life where it needs to grow up.

But hey, Monty Python and the Holy Grail was incredibly crappy quality and low budget and it's still a classic comedy. I've gotten good ratings on my more recent videos so at least I know my content has made up for quality issues (at least for whoever left the opinions...).

Anyway, thanks for eliminating my stubbornness in ignoring my "problem." XD I'm going to start this video over again in a new program (a new ripping program too - thanks for suggesting DVD Decrypter, I'll check it out).

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”