Getting the clips from a DVD or Blu-ray?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Getting the clips from a DVD or Blu-ray?

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:21 pm

L-Smash Works does not require any specific GPU.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:22 pm

mirkosp wrote:...even when L-Smash Works is out there, free for all, and better?
Details please, there does not seem to be adequate documentation that I can find on this.
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 pm

I already linked it before:
mirkosp wrote:Also, I will have to say that FFMS2 is a bad idea for direct BD AVC (and not just that), and remuxing isn't a solution to fix the problem, since it's not related to the container, hence why I suggest L-Smash Works now; here's a more indepth explanation (keep in mind that ffms2 relies directly on libav). For progressive content, L-Smash Works is a safe option, for interlaced content, only DGDecNV is truly safe.
For instance, H.264 allows IDR-picture without SPS/PPS.
For such IDR-pictures in TS, we can't treat as keyframe (random access point) but libavfomrat returns them as keyframe.
So, the result will be broken when the current SPS/PPS in extradata doesn't match (and libavcodec shall not update AVCodecContext.extradata).
This case is frequently present in BD m2ts.
LWLibavVideoSource can handle correctly this case.
L-Smash Works has its own internal workarounds to make this all work correctly, whereas ffms2 depends entirely on libav, which doesn't handle this properly. As this is a common occurrance in AVC BDs (yes, progressive ones as well), it makes L-Smash Works the preferrable suggestion now that it exists, if a free solution is desired.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 pm

mirkosp wrote:I already linked it before:
mirkosp wrote:Also, I will have to say that FFMS2 is a bad idea for direct BD AVC (and not just that), and remuxing isn't a solution to fix the problem, since it's not related to the container, hence why I suggest L-Smash Works now; here's a more indepth explanation (keep in mind that ffms2 relies directly on libav). For progressive content, L-Smash Works is a safe option, for interlaced content, only DGDecNV is truly safe.
For instance, H.264 allows IDR-picture without SPS/PPS.
For such IDR-pictures in TS, we can't treat as keyframe (random access point) but libavfomrat returns them as keyframe.
So, the result will be broken when the current SPS/PPS in extradata doesn't match (and libavcodec shall not update AVCodecContext.extradata).
This case is frequently present in BD m2ts.
LWLibavVideoSource can handle correctly this case.
L-Smash Works has its own internal workarounds to make this all work correctly, whereas ffms2 depends entirely on libav, which doesn't handle this properly. As this is a common occurrance in AVC BDs (yes, progressive ones as well), it makes L-Smash Works the preferrable suggestion now that it exists, if a free solution is desired.
I seemed to have overlooked the link in your first post. Well this is rather new and I have not heard of it before, thank you for the links and information. Also, this would have been nice information to quote the first time around rather than a side note and a link the first post, helps it to not get overlooked as easily ;)!

Might I recommend a sticky with this kind of information? Things like this sometimes slide in under the radar and it would be useful to have a listing of alternative methods of handling this type of footage since the org guide lacks this kind of information at the current moment. I personally haven't researched anything new in the past 6 months, thus easily missed certain things that came out in that time frame. I personally am glad there is a more accurate alternative that isn't reliant on a graphics card chipset since my current machine has an ATI card, thus making DGDecNV quite useless.

Additionally, could we get the stickies cleaned up a bit? Half of them are so outdated it's not even funny, this forum looks like a graveyard of information...I understand the org guide is being updated, but having some basic software information and advice on new methods of handling certain types of media would be extremely useful and probably handle a good chunk of the questions that come through the forum.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”