ripped video w/ sound skipping + audio & video not in sync

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
rednotes22
Org Profile

ripped video w/ sound skipping + audio & video not in sync

Post by rednotes22 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:22 pm

I have video clips that I ripped from a DVD that play normal in the begging, but soon begin to have sound skipping with the audio and video going out of sync. The DVD itself plays perfectly normal on a computer and dvd player but its the video clips that are ripped from the DVD that have the above problems. I have never had this problem before with video clips ripped from my other anime DVDs.

I emailed the tech support on the website that I purchased the dvd ripper from and they suggested that I probably had a "hybrid dvd" and to use one of the audio problem settings (Auto, Force, and Enhance), and to make sure that the dvd ripper and codecs are up to date but that did not work.

The video clips are in .avi format with some that use the DivX codec and others with Xvid codec.

Any advice? I'm using aoa dvd ripper. Heres the link to where purchased it from http://www.aoamedia.com/dvd_ripper.htm.

Is their a way of ripping video from a "hybrid dvd" that will prevent or significantly reduce the sound skipping and out of since audio and video (without getting a new dvd ripper)? Would ripping the DVD into another video format help such as mp4 (though I would like to be able to use the clips in windows movie maker on vista)?

Thanks in advance!!

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Re: ripped video w/ sound skipping + audio & video not in sy

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:36 am

Why on earth would you PAY for a DVD ripper? They're all cons. DVD2AVI or DGIndex on the vobs ripped by DVD Decrypter or DVDFab, avisynth as normal, mux audio.

rednotes22
Org Profile

Post by rednotes22 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Just tested to see if ripping the audio and video separately, and then putting them back together would help. I made sure that the separate audio and video files began at the same time on the dvd.

Extracting the audio separately helped a lot as the audio file did not have any sound skipping or missing sounds. I also ripped the video separately.

I then tried to put the audio and video back together in WMM. It began in sync for a second but went back out of sync. This happened when previewing the files together and after "publishing" them into one file. I know WMM is not the best video editing software but I'm sort of limited to what I can put on my computer at the moment.

Is it possible to edit or modify the audio and video files so that if I put them back together, the audio and video will stay in sync?

If not in WMM, what about in AviSynth? I've never used AviSynth before but I'm willing to try it.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:22 am

If you're actually asking that question, then you don't understand what avisynth even does. It's a scripting language interface for frame processing, it is not anything that will magically sync and interleave your video and audio. To do that, get your framerates right and use a container that supports interleaving. So to start with, rip your stuff correctly in the first place. Then mux to matroska. Oh look, everything works now, how about that.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:40 am

It can be a bit complicated, but you can learn the basics of DVD ripping and Avisynth use from this guide:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/ (You'll probably want to start with the "Getting your Video" section)

I'm pretty sure that's the newest version. Some details are outdated or highly simplified, but it's a good primer. It might help you fix your problem. I would be happy to help you with questions you might have as long as you don't ask me to explain the whole thing. Good luck!
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Cannonaire wrote:It can be a bit complicated, but you can learn the basics of DVD ripping and Avisynth use from this guide:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/ (You'll probably want to start with the "Getting your Video" section)

I'm pretty sure that's the newest version. Some details are outdated or highly simplified, but it's a good primer. It might help you fix your problem. I would be happy to help you with questions you might have as long as you don't ask me to explain the whole thing. Good luck!
The newest version is http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/

There's a link at the top of avtech3 pointing to it.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”