Capturing from LD players is Serious Business

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Capturing from LD players is Serious Business

Post by Kionon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:04 am

This is obviously directed towards older veterans.

One of my largest FFFFFFUUUUUU moments was learning that rights squabbles meant that unlike the TV and OAV series, the first KOR movie was NOT remastered or released on R2 DVD. I have heard from several sources that the LD version is superior to the R1 DVD. I'm trying to get the best picture quality from an LD player so I can capture the KOR movie from the Japanese LD.

My current player is probably a very cheap model (CLD-Z1), but even with the picture quality coming out subpar, I am pretty sure I can see a significant difference between it and the AE R1, but there is still quite a bit of speckle and a lack of proper combing, leading to jaggies around edges, especially during high movement scenes. There does not appear to be any serious interlacing, however.

Dad owns this same disc, but his has laser rot, I think. Not sure. Vlad, if you're around, you might be an expert on dealing with KOR LDs, so get with me, sir...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Capturing from LD players is Serious Business

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:45 am

Just throw some daa or naa on it and see what works best. :asd:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:25 pm

A lot of the KOR OVA Limited edition boxes had laser Rot. Mine do have some signes of digital "dots", but not a lot as I don't live in a high humid region that accelerates Laser Rot). Have not spon the discs in the past 6-8 years so I'd have to check them out

As for Dealing with laser discs, easiest way is to get a capture card and capture the footage into something like DV.

Memoried Dance and my frist Slayers video was done from LD using this method and as most put it, it look fantastic (in this case the original Studio Ghibli box set has much better transfer then the Disney DVDs)

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:55 pm

I am pretty sure mine does not have any laser rot at all. The player, however, does not have good output. Unfortunately top-end LD players are still hundreds of dollars.

I also have to make sure to look into a capture device that works with Mac.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Are they... I got 3... One of them I was a top end Pioneer that I got for free (person was goign to throw it way and it is in mind condition.. but seeing the amount of LDs I still have, I'll be hanging on to them...

So why not use the LDs, I though you said the output from LDS is crappy once :wink:

Vlad

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Are they... I got 3... One of them I was a top end Pioneer that I got for free (person was goign to throw it way and it is in mind condition.. but seeing the amount of LDs I still have, I'll be hanging on to them...

So why not use the LDs, I though you said the output from LDS is crappy once :wink:

Vlad
I think you're confused Vlad.

I WANT to use the LDs (and I have never once said LDs are crappy, in fact, the first time I mention laserdiscs, the KOR set, I talk about how well done they were, according to search). HOWEVER, with LD players, the analog output from the same disc can vary greatly. The LD Player I have is a Pioneer, but the output is not very nice.

And if you want to send me a top of the line LD player, please do!
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Kionon wrote: I think you're confused Vlad.

I WANT to use the LDs (and I have never once said LDs are crappy, in fact, the first time I mention laserdiscs, the KOR set, I talk about how well done they were, according to search). HOWEVER, with LD players, the analog output from the same disc can vary greatly. The LD Player I have is a Pioneer, but the output is not very nice.

And if you want to send me a top of the line LD player, please do!
Boy oh boy, so mcuh for makign a joke :awesome:

Anyway, I sure the postage alone for sendign it would be more then getting a top of the line used player :wink: ... Besides, I stil have too many LDs to get rid of mine... One of these days I'll use them to make a old school video

Vlad

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”