ms-dvr

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
JazzyDJ
Org Profile

ms-dvr

Post by JazzyDJ » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 am

This of coarse is the MPEG format that windows media center records into, and it is just about as large in size as a lossless codec. It seems that all video recording from my capture card in Windows Media Center isn't recognized by nearly all of the video editing/encoding software. Vegas doesn't even see it. The ONLY software I've been able to get to recognise MS-DVR format (from Media Center) is TMPGEnc Xpress. Even then I can't figure out a good codect to convert to for editing because it's wmv format is horrible compared to the high quality Vegas encodes, and a lossless codec would make it way too large for my hard drive. (They're already 5-10 Gigs fresh off the TV capture card.)

So I was wondering if anyone here might have some suggestions or experience to share in regards to TV Capture Carded video and MS-DVR format? What's the best way to get this into a good editing codec for editing in Vegas, at a good balance for high quality and lower file size?
Number 1 on the Bottom 40

kmv
Org Profile

Re: ms-dvr

Post by kmv » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Given that DVR-MS is an ASF with MPEG2 inside you should be able to open it in Avisynth with DirectShowSource() - as long as you have an MPEG2 codec installed on your computer.

If you just want a transcoder then ffmpeg should have no problems - again because of DirectShow and MPEG2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVR-MS

JazzyDJ
Org Profile

Re: ms-dvr

Post by JazzyDJ » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 pm

thank you :)
Number 1 on the Bottom 40

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”