Capturing Audio From My Headset In High Quality?

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Capturing Audio From My Headset In High Quality?

Post by Bauzi » Thu May 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Hey there,

I broke my Headset, but it makes some quite interssting sound. It's like I hear an instrumental version of a song without vocals. Yeah it sounds a bit deaf, but still interssting.

My question is: Is there a way to capture the sound of my headset?

Something in high quality... I would even cut the cables and plug them into some hardware to be able to capture this sound. Any suggestions?
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Capturing Audio From My Headset In High Quality?

Post by Scintilla » Thu May 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Bauzi wrote:I broke my Headset, but it makes some quite interssting sound. It's like I hear an instrumental version of a song without vocals. Yeah it sounds a bit deaf, but still interssting.

My question is: Is there a way to capture the sound of my headset?

Something in high quality... I would even cut the cables and plug them into some hardware to be able to capture this sound. Any suggestions?
What you describe sounds kind of like the standard quick trick to (attempt to) remove vocals from a stereo track: invert one channel and then sum them to mono. Normally I wouldn't have believed that a similar effect could be caused by faulty hardware... until I got something similar happening to me near the end of my old cassette adapter's lifetime (I had to bend the cable a certain way to get it to sound right again, and eventually it just wasn't worth it).

So, try taking a track and doing that process to it in your favorite audio editor (or use Audacity if you don't have one yet). Play it back over some speakers. If it sounds like what you get out of your broken headset, then voilà!

If not, then I'm out of suggestions.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Fri May 29, 2009 2:35 am

Scintilla wrote:(I had to bend the cable a certain way to get it to sound right again, and eventually it just wasn't worth it)
That's the case. The sound is still a bit disorted and "stretched". That's why I want to capture the malfunction somehow. Maybe I could mix it with the original sound.

Thanks for your suggestion. I always wanted to know how such things work.

Somebody suggested that I should cut the cable and connect it with another connector. Than I should be able to cpature the sound if I connect it to Line In.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri May 29, 2009 8:56 am

Sounds like you are getting a short in the wire, which can sometimes be fixed by bending it a certain way. Or a change in the resistance of the wire due to some of the conductors being broken effectively changing the gauge (or diameter) of the wire. This can have an effect on certain signal frequencies being sent properly or not. Have you ever plugged in a headphone into a jack and had little to no bass (and mids) and then either twisted the plug in the socket or unplugged then replugged the jack back in a few times and got the entire signal? That's basically what it is.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”