External busted?

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

External busted?

Post by Vax » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:10 pm

So, I was editing and then everything froze, so i rebooted my computer, and unplugged my external. Then when my computer starts up again I plug in the external and everything goes frozen. Unplug it, and my computer works fine. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

Re: External busted?

Post by Vax » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Also, occasionally it won't freeze but when I got to "My Computer" folder, it doesn't say anywhere the name of the external.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I had a similar problem.

Try plugging it into another computer and see if it does the same thing.

If so, you've got a problem.

If not, then put everything external into the computer it does work on. Then format it, re put everything back onto the external and plug it back in. It should work then.

Vax
Sexy black guy
Org Profile

Post by Vax » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Thank You very much Code. It's working well on my laptop so I guess i'll just have to do what you advised

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:54 pm

You could run Checkdisk, as maybe something about Windows messed up when you had to hard reboot - it may not be the drive, which would explain why it works ok on the laptop.

Sometimes other weird things can happen. The external drive might need to warm up first. I have one like this - if the drive is cold and I turn it on, everything on my desktop slows to a crawl - music, mouse movements, everything...but let it run for a while and the desktop will snap back, although the drive won't be recognized. So at that point I turn the drive off and turn it on again, it mounts fine and is perfectly usable. Alternately, to avoid the whole slowdown problem, I just take the USB cable out from the drive itself rather than the USB port on my computer, turn the drive on, and once it's warmed up enough I turn it off, plug the cable back in, and turn it back on.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Hardware Discussion”