Building PC....What should I get?

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:13 am

I'd definitely throw my agreement behind separate system and A/V drives. My main A/V drive died a few weeks ago, which sucked something fierce, but at least I didn't lose all the core system since it was running on a separate drive.

A good sized monitor is very very nice. Even better, IMO, is having two of them, either running on a dual-head card or two cards (just about all the Windoze OSs will run this now, I'd heard W2k was the flakiest about this but that's what I use and it's worked just fine- you just need a card with VGA disable). I've got a 19" and a 17", and it is -really- nice to be able to use one monitor as nothing but the preview window for the video and the other for the timeline and the rest of the controls.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:48 pm

RadicalEd0 wrote:get this:
AthlonXP 2700
200gb 7200rpm 8mb cache WD hdd
1024mb pc3700 DDR ram
Geoforce FX Ultra 128mb video card
SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1
Pioneer A05 DVD-R burner
24" LCD monitor
Kilpsch THX 5.1 speakers

that should only set you back a few k
Ack! Thats one solidly kick ass system u have yourself there. Ye gads!! Ill never look at my PC the same way again!!!

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:52 pm

pfft I dont have that I was just saying its what he should get :\
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:12 pm

Oh :oops:

Man, i would KILL for a system with those specs!

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:33 pm

Barton CPUs will be out soon, maybe wait a week or two...

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:15 pm

shadow-the-hedgehog wrote:Yes, it is my first PC....to build. I am also gonna use it for gaming, image creation and web design.
a :shock: heh. lemme get this before Quu sees it. ..

heh. . .piece of advice. If you wanna build a computer to make videos with, great. If you want a computer to play games, build another computer.

Never shall the twain meet without a 10/100/1000 hub between them.

Can you build one pc to do it? yes. . .do you want to run the risk of tinkering with it all the time to get it to run? most video editing equipment, at least anything from pinnacle or matrox, tends to be finicky on the collection of hardware/software it will work/share a hard drive with.

so, my advice, build another pc for gaming.

<-----building a 4th pc as he types. . .

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:26 pm

Premiere and Games can co-exist.

Really :| Flakey cards from Pinnacle have more to do with it not liking the motherboard, you can still build a system JUST for editing and still not have it stable. Then you can also build a system for editing/everything else and it can be perfectly stable.

What you said just seems really untrue, since most people here are editing on the same machine they surf and game with. :\

~klinky

shadow-the-hedgehog
Org Profile

Post by shadow-the-hedgehog » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:21 am

Okay thanx for da help... ^_^
**K.O.G3 MIX**
My Online Journal
'Unopened Letter to the World' by [i]the Ataris[/i] wrote:Am I destined only to die the same way I lived, in seclusion?

SiberWolf
Org Profile

Post by SiberWolf » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:06 am

Premiere and games work perfectly fine on the same system for me (and I also have a DV500 that works flawlessly). It's not always the case, but with a little research beforehand and a little tuning after, you can usually make it work out just fine.

As for the Klipsch 5.1 setup, I highly recommend avoiding it. I personally had 3 sets go bad before I gave up on em. A friend is on his 5th set now, and I know others with problems as well (amps keep failing for no reason, except shoddy manufacturing). Can't really recommend what to get instead though. I persoanlly moevd up to a home theatre setup (harman/kardon receiver and sub, JBL studio series center channel and floorstanding fronts, running from digital optical output of a Hercules GTXP). It gives me impressive sound, but the pricetag is quite a bit steeper. Used to highly recommend the GTXP as a great soundcard as well, but I'm starting to see some strange problems with it recently...

Hard drives are quite cheap these days, as are motherboards with RAID configs. Got a pair of WD 120gb 8mb cache drives in a RAID 0 array, which works beautifully. It's not necessary, but the speed boost is quite nice for editing, and the cost increase is somewhat minimal. Can still toss in a seperate system drive too.. or go RAID 0+1, perhaps with a few smaller drives.

Oh, and skip the Geforce FX. Radeon 9700 is a much better product all around (at least in my opinion).

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:59 pm

yeah the FX didnt deliver after all did it :\ I posted that before all the articles came out on it.

As for kilpsch I've got a 2.1 set that works perfect, had it for a few months now, and my friend has a 5.1 set that hes had since who knows when and it works fine.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”