I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini

Subtle Sorrow
Org Profile

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini

Post by Subtle Sorrow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 am

What are your thoughts on them? If I buy one, I'll buy the cheaper on and upgrade the RAM myself and add an external hard drive for space. Could I buy a PC with similar specs for a lot cheaper? etc etc

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Re: I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini

Post by Willen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 am

For similar specs and size, a mini PC wouldn't be much cheaper. Those that are similarly sized as the Mac Mini are generally more expensive. A Dell Studio Hybrid starts at $599 and is probably the closest PC to the Mac Mini. Shuttle mini PCs run about $500+ lightly spec'd out with a Intel Core 2 Duo proc, under $200 barebones, although they are somewhat bigger in size. Other brands run for about the same prices, a bit less if ordered with an Atom CPU instead. The Mac Mini does have better graphics than most comparable mini PCs, though (Nvidia 9400M vs. Intel GMA X3100).

The question you should really be asking is whether you want a computer running Windows or MacOS (the Mac can run Windows, but you'd have to pay extra for that privilege). Or you'd rather have something non-aluminum brick looking.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Subtle Sorrow
Org Profile

Post by Subtle Sorrow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:56 pm

What programs can't you get for Mac that you can for PC (specificly editing wise) I know Virtual Dub Mod is only for PC, is there other compression software similar to VDM?

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:14 pm

Avisynth currently isn't available for Mac; you would have to use Crossover

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Avidemux would be your VDub alternate for mac. It also indexes vobs as well as cleans/encodes footage.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:18 am

The newest Mac Minis are quite fine as editing platforms. You can run dual monitors now, with adaptors, and you can run 4GBs of ram with an Intel dual core processor. I am. VDubMod runs a bit sluggish in some ways on Snow Leo, but in other ways, like menu usage, I have actually seen improvement. I imagine future versions of Crossover will account for this.

And yes, avidemux is quite awesome.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”