system setup help

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Re: system setup help

Post by NeoQuixotic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:35 am

Ok, from what I can tell the Black Monarch is all about doing everything as cheap as possible. That's fine, especially if you are only doing this as a hobby. But a lot of the things I covered will benefit you if you want to get serious about video production/3d modeling. And it really doesn't cost that much to get a significant increase in performance too. It only gets grotesquely expensive if you enter the top tier of equipment. If you're all about cheap and only what benefits you this immediate moment, good for you I guess.
Insert clever text/image here.

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:23 pm

anubisx00 wrote:Ok, from what I can tell the Black Monarch is all about doing everything as cheap as possible. That's fine, especially if you are only doing this as a hobby. But a lot of the things I covered will benefit you if you want to get serious about video production/3d modeling. And it really doesn't cost that much to get a significant increase in performance too. It only gets grotesquely expensive if you enter the top tier of equipment. If you're all about cheap and only what benefits you this immediate moment, good for you I guess.
anubisx is right.

price is ALWAYS a factor Monarch.
and seeing how the thread starter didn't mention at all that "i need to save money" or "i am trying to get the most out of very little" we are assuming price is NOT a factor for him and that he's got $50,000US sitting under his bed collecting dust.

You got 50,000 dollars to spend and piss on and wipe your butt, you come to a computer store to buy a CPU, you choose the 2.3Ghz Dual Core or you choose the 2.3Ghz Quad Core. Gee i duno man..i think i want my $1 chicken sandwich at mcdonalds, i better get the dual core. -_-.....
*i really hope you read the sarcasm in that*
Image Image

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Note: after this post, I'm dropping the argument. It's getting a tad nitpicky and off-track for my taste.
LivingFlame wrote: "Indeen"? I think you mean "Indeed."

But seriously, if you're going to comment on someone's spelling and grammar, make sure your own spelling and grammar are correct first.
"Indeen" is one of those deliberate misspellings for comedic effect, like "ubar". It's most commonly found on the Don Murphy message boards. You can investigate for yourself if you like.
Kariudo wrote: Fix't, and Multi-threaded isn't limited to two threads (though anything more than 1 is technically multi-threaded). For all you know, premiere (pro, perhaps elements now as well) might run 9001 threads
I heard elsewhere on the forum that it was 2, which was kinda the joke.
Kariudo wrote:But that doesn't mean that you can't get a 3GHz chip.
True. In fact, I'm a big fan of the E8400.
Kariudo wrote:While dual cores tend to be easier to overclock, this isn't a concrete rule (see core i7 920 &/or Q6600). The TDP for dual-core cpus isn't half of the TDP for quad-cores. The Phenom line, for example, has a TDP of 125W for the black edition quads and a TDP of 80-95W for comparable duals
If by "80-95W" you meant "65W", you'd be absolutely right.

(to your credit, there are some 80-95W Phenoms being sold with two cores disabled, but those aren't really dual-core chips for purposes here.)
Kariudo wrote:not so much....I guess it depends on your definition of grotesquely expensive...$280 for an i7 920 isn't bad, and you can get a decent msi or gigabyte board for under $200.
Yeah, umm... good LGA775 boards can be had for $50. So we're talking about a difference of $150-$250 just for the privilege of spending even more money on those i7 chips. If you're a ZOMG XTREME!!! gamer who insists on getting 500 frames per second at 2560x1600 in Crysis, and you're financially sound, then hey, the i7 is probably worth the money. But for the majority of us who are poor college students or whatever, maybe not so much, especially considering that we should spend orders of magnitude more time working on our videos than waiting for them to encode. Just sayin'.
Kariudo wrote:Actually, the i7 920 beat out the best core2quads in rendering and video encoding...save for the QX9770 a few times (which is only $900 more than the i7 920 :roll:)
The comparably priced Q9450 manages to beat the i7 (though if your cpu is the primary factor here, you have bigger problems on your hands) in some games.
Congratulations on correcting yourself (earlier, you had said that they were only "sometimes" faster)
Kariudo wrote:Unlocked multi's are nice...but aren't everything in overclocking. The i7 920 can go from stock 2.66 to 3.8 whereas the 940 can go from 3.2 to 4.12. So much for that unlocked multi
:shock:

Are you kidding? Is that 3.8 on air cooling, or something more elaborate? Either way, it's impressive. We can has sauce?

(note: "sauce" = "source")

The Phenom II can hit 4ghz on air, by the way. Just throwing that out there.
Kariudo wrote:Oh, you mean like the Core i7 920?
But yeah, we've already had the ram argument before. 2GB ram is not gonna get you too far with programs like Maya and After Effects.
Sauce?
Kariudo wrote:Hooray for forum search? I don't know how many titles have been released on Blu-ray, but I know for a fact that both seasons of Gundam 00 have been/will be.
Oh, both seasons of Gundam 00, you say? Well, that clinches the whole argument right there!
anubisx00 wrote:Ok, from what I can tell the Black Monarch is all about doing everything as cheap as possible.
Umm... no. If I was going for "as cheap as possible", I'd recommend a Sempron-based system. But I didn't. I just tried to get a general idea of what sort of price range was in play based on the OP.
milkmandan wrote: and seeing how the thread starter didn't mention at all that "i need to save money" or "i am trying to get the most out of very little" we are assuming price is NOT a factor for him and that he's got $50,000US sitting under his bed collecting dust.

You got 50,000 dollars to spend and piss on and wipe your butt, you come to a computer store to buy a CPU, you choose the 2.3Ghz Dual Core or you choose the 2.3Ghz Quad Core. Gee i duno man..i think i want my $1 chicken sandwich at mcdonalds, i better get the dual core. -_-.....
*i really hope you read the sarcasm in that*
Well, I didn't see the phrase "4-way Xeon workstation" in the post, so I was guessing that the OP was planning on spending only a sane amount of money on the project. But you're right, it's much better to assume that everyone on the forum is a millionaire.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:42 am

the Black Monarch wrote: I heard elsewhere on the forum that it was 2, which was kinda the joke.
huh, must've missed your sarcasm tags
the Black Monarch wrote:If by "80-95W" you meant "65W", you'd be absolutely right.

(to your credit, there are some 80-95W Phenoms being sold with two cores disabled, but those aren't really dual-core chips for purposes here.)
No, by 80-95W I meant 80-95W. I disagree with you on the point in bold here, dual core phenoms are as much "legit" dual cores as the Athlon X2s (which are the line with the 65W TDP).
the Black Monarch wrote: Congratulations on correcting yourself (earlier, you had said that they were only "sometimes" faster)
Wait, what thread did I say this in? Since there have been a few threads with us going back and forth in the recent past.
the Black Monarch wrote::shock:

Are you kidding? Is that 3.8 on air cooling, or something more elaborate? Either way, it's impressive. We can has sauce?
Kid I don't. It's actually the same source as the one I used in my previous post...but here it is again (specific page).
Cooling isn't specified, though high-end air or watercooling is suggested for the i7 945 overclock in that article
the Black Monarch wrote:Sauce?
Probably gonna kick myself for saying this...but no source.
Statement based on personal experience (and from the sound of it, experiences of most other people in this thread)
the Black Monarch wrote: Oh, both seasons of Gundam 00, you say? Well, that clinches the whole argument right there!
inorite? Gundam 00 is awesome enough for...whatever it needs to be awesome for
side note: best list of blu-ray animu I've found so far

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:33 am

the Black Monarch wrote:Well, I didn't see the phrase "4-way Xeon workstation" in the post, so I was guessing that the OP was planning on spending only a sane amount of money on the project. But you're right, it's much better to assume that everyone on the forum is a millionaire.
you are still here??
Here is me looking at the guy who donated $1,500 to a-m-v.org
damn, there goes my dream of collecting blue-ray dvds. :( those are expensive, esp that Code Geass one.
Image Image

Return to “Hardware Discussion”