dual processors

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:36 pm

Dannywilson wrote:You are wrong in the statement about needing an obscure and/or insanely tough to operate OS to run quads. Windows XP pro can support up to quads, you just have to buy the correct version to do it.

Incorrect, even the ultra-rare 64bit version of WinXP (which yours truly has never actually seen for himself, only heard rumors of) can only recognize 2 processors. Windows in unfit to run anything more. If you doubt my words try it for your self. But believe me, I have considered the option greatly.

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:22 am

uhhh.... if winNT 4 can do it, and 2k, and to some extent, xp were built off the NT achictecture, that deems that yes, they can. A 64 bit OS has nothing to do with it if all the processers are 32 bit. Noone is releasing a 64 bit home-use processor until the AMD Hammer series comes out sometime this summer.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:01 am

Mr Pilkington wrote: Incorrect, even the ultra-rare 64bit version of WinXP (which yours truly has never actually seen for himself, only heard rumors of) can only recognize 2 processors. Windows in unfit to run anything more. If you doubt my words try it for your self. But believe me, I have considered the option greatly.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/se ... indows.asp
Windows 2000 Pricing Information wrote: Windows 2000 Professional: 2-way symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) support

Windows 2000 Server : 4-way SMP support

Windows 2000 Advanced Server: 8-way SMP support

Windows 2000 Datacenter: 32-way SMP support

DannyWilson wrote: Noone is releasing a 64 bit home-use processor until the AMD Hammer series comes out sometime this summer.
Intel's Itanium was released about a year ago or so. It is 64bits, but kinda sucks. You can purchase one off Price Watch for only $2732 :P

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:03 am

DannyWilson wrote:Noone is releasing a 64 bit home-use processor until the AMD Hammer series comes out sometime this summer.

My bad >_<

You're correct Itanium is NOT meant for home users :\

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”