dual processors

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:24 pm

True, but not much power is required for a server. I think however that we were more or less refering to use via editing. a dual P2, while mildly adiquite would not proform half as well as a dual P3. And really if you can find a BETTER P3 (IE: one of the 4.5 Volt models) you really get far more than what you expect. I had a 450 (4.5 volt) P3 that out did my 650. So really once agian it all depends on the model of the prosessor. But correct u are, out of all the chips out there I found I got my best (file server) proformance out of P2's and Ppro's.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:03 pm

PIIIs main difference from PIIs are:

...mainly ran on a S370 board(I believe there was a 450 that used the SECC2)
....included added SSE instructions(they did alot of promos about how it was going to boost your internet experience :roll:)
...the cache was split in half and moved on chip. While you had half the cache it was operating at wayy more then it was before. This actually provides better performance in most applications.
...Coppermine versions later used copper interconnects and moved to a 0.18 micron process.

Other then that. There is not a whole lot of difference between a PII and a PIII. Coppermines were quite a bit quicker.

Servers need alot of power, doing anything. a-m-v.org as to process each page it produces. It's just a web server. If a home server is what you need, just ftp/web/nat/file for your personal use, then pretty much anything will do. You could do it on a Pentium 200 running win2k/linux(hopefully you have a decent hard drive controller to do DMA with ^_^).

As for media editing, a PIII is definitely going to be quicker, especially if you use a coppermine. SSE alone will boost your speed a bit.

As for "NEEDING RDRAM". That's not actually required. You can do a dual processer system with out using the overpriced and crappy RDRAM. RDRAM was released with the i820 chipset by intel. This was later on after the PIII showed up.

You can still use PC133 SDRAM and you will see a improvement.

Also I do not know where you get off saying the PIII was a hot chip and that you would have to mod a case to fit extra fans in to cool the beasts down is absurd. You could run the setup with two stock fans, the P/S fan and a exhaust fan in the back. That's it. No modding to somehow fit 12 fans in your system.

~klinky

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:16 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:True, but not much power is required for a server.
*laughs in Pilkington's face*

That's an incredibly stupid blanket statement you made there, kid.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

TokyoU15
Org Profile

Post by TokyoU15 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:36 pm

now now, that was a bit harsh Jdick, I mean Jbone. =P

Anyway, I use a Dual Processor AMD Athlon MP 2000's for my post production needs. It gave me a 50% improvement in speed. THe only reason I don't edit on that is because I have my DV500 on my other machine. What use to take me 50 minutes to encode a VBR mpeg at 2000kb/s now takes me 20 minutes on the dual processor machine.
<a href="http://www.senpaiproductions.net">Image</a>
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... =326">View My Profile</a>
The Thrill of The Kill Is Alive and Well!

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:38 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:1st off I never said that!
thus the phrase 'I think' (I being understood :shock: )
Mr Pilkington wrote:2nd how do you figure?

It's quite possible and fun to run a dual P3. As we all know the P3 was pretty much queen bitch of the universe. It had all the power you could slam in to a CPU or that size. Realistically the best Processor ever! But pain is the price of the CPU's and motherboard. As well as cooling. A majority of cases now a days are far too small to properly support the kind of air space needed for a dual P3 board. You have to do massive crinos case mods just to fit enough fans. The if you plan on doing a dual P3 really you shouldn't use anything less than RDRAM. So really with the current technology your better off with and MP system.
don't you just love when ppl answer their own questions? here my turn, yes.

But you coulda' just said p3's (Athies) run quite hot compaired to the non-consumer stuff at the time (P4 and Clawhammer).

p3's can't run with rdram

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:44 pm

klinky wrote:Also I do not know where you get off saying the PIII was a hot chip and that you would have to mod a case to fit extra fans in to cool the beasts down is absurd. You could run the setup with two stock fans, the P/S fan and a exhaust fan in the back. That's it. No modding to somehow fit 12 fans in your system.

~klinky
yur comp won't last for more than a year like that lol 12 is a bit overkill and 3 is suck but like 5 (plus ps fan and monthly dustings, make sure it works) is about good imo. (maybe 6 for dualie)

anyway who doesn't replace their comp after a couple years??

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:31 pm

Knowname wrote: yur comp won't last for more than a year like that lol 12 is a bit overkill and 3 is suck but like 5 (plus ps fan and monthly dustings, make sure it works) is about good imo. (maybe 6 for dualie)

anyway who doesn't replace their comp after a couple years??
Well no, CPUs are designed to take a beating, my computer has yet to die. I am not running duals but I will tell you that one day during the summer, Kthulhu was using my computer with the door closed the windows shut and I had my O'C duron runing @ 950Mhz(from 600Mhz). I get home, the thing crashes and Kthulhu complains that it has been acting kind of funny all day long. I checked the CPU Temp and I shit you not it was @ 180F :O Which is very hot. It worked fine after I ventilated the room(which was around 100F, why Kthulhu didn't open a window I'll never know) and it still works in his current computer.

Also it should be noted that later model PIII's have SpeedStep, which if they start to overheat they will slowdown and use less energy so as not to burn up.

As long as you house your computer in a room with a ambient temp of around 60 - 70F you could be okay with the stock cooling.

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:32 pm

could = should

my current CPU = AXP 1.4Ghz

:\

~klinky

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:48 pm

you and your crazy brother stories

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:57 pm

jbone wrote:
Mr Pilkington wrote:True, but not much power is required for a server.
*laughs in Pilkington's face*

That's an incredibly stupid blanket statement you made there, kid.

Look I don't what you say, no smalltime home file server needs Quad Xeon! Of course your not going to get by on a 286 but..... Anything 800 Mhz or better should be more than plenty.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”