Which capture card to buy.....??

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:24 am

LONG LIVE BETA!!!
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:39 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: Yes, somewhat true but your statement is very misleading.

Mjpeg was used for Analog capture cards and can be compressed. Basically quality depended on compression, but it compressed below 3, then quality is outstanding (blows Mpeg2 away) but at the cost of space
lots op space.
oh yes, properly configured and with all settings on high, a dc10 can yield extremely spiffy results, even at 3-1 compression. But it is basic compared to other capture cpu's, and is slow, if 6m/sec could be called slow. . .;p
DV is a 5:1 compression format. Yes it take up more space, but it can be edited in real time and not as lossless as Mpeg2. This is the format of choice for most video editing cards! Your statement I would say if not quite true...
depends on whos codec. the last time i did water testing, Panasonics' hard codecs were the best, and sonys were among the worst, especially at solid colors. but i'm kinda out of the loop.

DV seems to run into issues with NTSC more than PAL i've heard on the international scene, at least where capturing.
Mpeg2. You can't edit it in it's native authored format. Must use a version such as Mpeg2-I (I frame) or something like the DC2000 uses (much larger files sizes). Yes, it's a great quality vs space for authoring (output) format, but not a good idea to keep your masters in. More for distribution on discs, etc.

Vlad
yeah, i wasnt trying to come across saying mpeg-2 was the shiznit overall. But it is an extremely significant advancement of quality / space handoff compare to the other two video compressions. . . .

IMAC
Org Profile

Post by IMAC » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:29 am

I got a simple PCI card from Koutech (606-RSF I think) for basic analog input and it's been working great., haven't had any problems from Ulead or Premiere, but a professor at teh local college turned me onto somthing that looks pretty...awsome..

ADS Technology API-550 Pyro A/V Link.

retails around $250, all you need is a basic OHCI card to plug it into... lets you do full scale Analog and DV into it, export to analog or DV... and makes me drool just looking at the specs sheet..teh text is kinda fuzzy, but at the bottom is a photo of all the i/o ports on teh front and back..and it's OS X and Windows compatible... http://www.adstech.com/products/API_550/pdf/API550b.pdf

NEXT UP... me going broke over hardware..

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:24 pm

I recomend a good Pinnacle DV capture card, specifically the DV500
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”