The best pc for video editing. AMVs

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:31 am

Corran wrote:http://www.pricewatch.com (Excellent prices but be careful here. Only buy from people with good ratings and read the product infomation carefully as it might not actually be what you think.)
I'm actually preferring http://www.pricegrabber.com these days... I find it easier to find what I want there, rather than having to search through the huge messy lists on Pricewatch.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:47 am

anubisx00 wrote:Is it just me or is this whole thread becoming ridiculous? I think the power and speed of the computer no longer matters once the only bottleneck is how fast the creator can think and edit videos. The speed of the computer will not make a difference in the quality of the videos. The only way to become good is to keep practicing and editing. If you don't practice your skills, the computer won't help. I see it as; crap in=crap out. Or in the case of an uber computer; crap in=lots of crap out really fast. However, it sure is fun to dream about the absolute high end ^_^!
To a point, this is true, and it's what I used to advocate.

However, I know that when I went from my old Athlon 850 machine[0] to my current Athlon 64 3400+[1] box (it's quite literally a box), I gained the ability to look at more ideas faster.

I don't know many people who would want to work on each individual section of their video forever, unless they really loved doing it. (I've been in that situation, but it's rare). They want to try out various things and not have to wait an eternity for the computer to render. This is what more speed allows you to do.

AI analogy: more speed means more lookahead in a shorter time means evaluation of more alternatives means better decision.

--

Another thing that a <strike>bigger phallus</strike> better computer is good for: making deadlines.

The opening sequence for DDR4 took a few weeks to render on my Athlon 64 machine, and as such I barely made the deadline. I don't want to think about how long my old machine would have needed...

---

The below specifications are for geeks only. They may be viewed in a purely ego-fulfilling light, because, really, that's all they are. If you don't give a shit about this (and there's no good reason why you should, unless you're a geek) you should skip it.

[0]
Athlon Thunderbird 850, Asus A7V mainboard (VIA KT133 Apollo chipset)
384 MB PC133 SDRAM
drives: 6.4 GB Maxtor 98045D4, 20 GB Quantum Fireball lct20, 80 GB IBM DeathStar 80 gig thingy
some GeForce4MX graphics card
Sound Blaster Live! Value (i.e. crap)
Gentoo Linux 2004.0 i686, Windows ME (heh, not that I ever used it)
cost: ~$1000

[1]
Athlon 64 3400+, Shuttle FN85 mainboard (NVIDIA NForce3-150 chipset)
1024 MB PC3200 DDR RAM
drives: 160GB Seagate ST3160023AS, 120GB WDC thing (can't remember model number, don't really care either)
MSI GeForce FX 5600 graphics card
NVIDIA AC '97 6.1 onboard sound (i.e. crap)
Gentoo Linux 2004.2 amd64, Windows XP SP2
cost: ~$1000

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:19 am

anubisx00 wrote:Is it just me or is this whole thread becoming ridiculous? I think the power and speed of the computer no longer matters once the only bottleneck is how fast the creator can think and edit videos. The speed of the computer will not make a difference in the quality of the videos. The only way to become good is to keep practicing and editing. If you don't practice your skills, the computer won't help. I see it as; crap in=crap out. Or in the case of an uber computer; crap in=lots of crap out really fast. However, it sure is fun to dream about the absolute high end ^_^!
Thanks to all, this informations will be great for me. Thanks a ton! :D :D :D :D

About what you say, is right and wrong, I am not talking about the quality, but about the fact that my computer DON'T WORK. And I want to start by 0.
ImageImage

Return to “Hardware Discussion”