DVD-ROM Help, please read..........

Knivezz
Org Profile

DVD-ROM Help, please read..........

Post by Knivezz » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:36 pm

Hey everyone, I'm having a little problem with my dvd-rom, everytime i play back any dvd movie or cd that contains video or audio files, the playback skips and jumps seconds ahead, meaning, when the drive is reading the disc, during playback, the whole video and audio skips seconds, then plays back normal, then jumps a few secs again and it does that constantly. Does anybody ever had this problem before?...I was thinking maybe is because i have been playing bootlegg dvds lately and i heard it can mess up the drive, but this soon?...Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

A little on the side note, my comp is 2 months old, is a Dell with 2.40 GHz with a LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 16x, so i don't think is my comp performance, is the drive, then again, it could be anything, please help me out here, i'm running late on making my next vid because of this...thanks again everyone.

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:14 pm

It could be the DVDs themselves...check for scratches.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:18 pm

Check for background processes running :\

Goto Start|Run|Msconfig, click on the Startup tab and uncheck everything.
Click OK and then reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, maybe new firmware for your DVD-ROM? Or the discs are scratched, but that most likely is not the case if ALL DVDs do this.

If all else fails it may be the drive failing, talk with DELL about getting a replacement.

Bootlegs would not affect the DVD. There is no physical contact between the disc surface and the drive. And the only thing different about bootlegs is that they are enabled for all regions. Nothing physically different that would cause problems.

~klinky

Knivezz
Org Profile

Post by Knivezz » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:23 pm

I think you're right klinky, might be because there might be too much running in the background, because, oddly, as i was ripping Legend of Dragoon, i opened up Winamp, tried playing a song, and the same thing happened, skips!...it skips a few seconds, then back to normal, then its at it again, so i'll try doing what you said and i'll post if anything happens, thanks for the tip klinky ^_^

Ikasu
Org Profile

Post by Ikasu » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:58 pm

does it happen often or is it just once in a while?.....cause before on my dual processor machine it use to skip about 4-5 seconsd at random points...probably about 2 times within 30 minutes of video...it was really annoying......but I don't have to worry about that anymore since I got my new pc... :lol:

J89idsioss
Org Profile

Post by J89idsioss » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:27 am

Yes almost always turning off all those background tasks will keep Media playback from skipping. Also, I would reccomend using something other than WinAMP. It's a very resource heavy program. There's other alternatives out there. I use UltraPlayer but there's other ones that work too.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”