Looking for a decent, reasonably priced capture card

SephirothJenova
Org Profile

Looking for a decent, reasonably priced capture card

Post by SephirothJenova » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:18 pm

Okay, I'm building a system for myself (except for the motherboard, fans, power supply, and case), but I want a capture card. Main reason I'd like to get one is to capture FFX footage in case I want to make a video for it in the future. I'd also like to be able to input some VHS.

Here's the stats for my computer so far, try to recommend a good capture card on these:

1) PNY 128MB DDR AGP 8X Video Card with nVidia's Verto GeForce FX 5200 3D Chip
2) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Audio Card
3) I'm going to get a pretty good amount of DDR RAM (thinking about getting 1GB total) and my processor is an Intel P4 2.4GHz.
4) Probably going to get that Maxtor 120GB HDD that Red Wolf posted about
5) Haven't selected any CD-RWs or DVD-Roms yet.

I was trying to find a Studio DC10+, but I think that Pinnacle doesn't make those anymore. I read that it seems like a decent video card, but I would have to use my audio card for capturing the soung in it. Is there any capture card with audio and video input? I'm looking for something that's less than $150 ($200 is definitely my limit). Software doesn't matter too much, but if something has some good editing/capturing software, be sure to include it in. Any links will be much appreciated.

Sephiroth

J89idsioss
Org Profile

Post by J89idsioss » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:14 am

I haven't Installed it yet, but I got a card that matches your description. It's found here. It comes with cable tv connector and regular yellow connector in. Also S-video in and a little box that connects to the back and has s-video & regular inputs. Comes with capture software. And lastly, a remote so you can record from across the room.

$34.00

Yes that's the right price. Great deal if you ask me. I'll be trying out the card tonight, so I'll let you know how it works sometime tomorrow. :)

Lonley Driver
Org Profile

Post by Lonley Driver » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:11 pm

Well, since $200 is your absolute limit, I'll recommend Canopus' ADVC-50. It's great for converting analog to digital video. All you need is any cheap firewire card, and an open 5 1/4 bay.

There's one on ebay now for $176.

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc- ... dvc-50.asp

-David

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:58 pm

Zaliek wrote:I haven't Installed it yet, but I got a card that matches your description. It's found here. It comes with cable tv connector and regular yellow connector in. Also S-video in and a little box that connects to the back and has s-video & regular inputs. Comes with capture software. And lastly, a remote so you can record from across the room.

$34.00

Yes that's the right price. Great deal if you ask me. I'll be trying out the card tonight, so I'll let you know how it works sometime tomorrow. :)
Your sig is to big, 600 x 40 max.

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:27 pm

i thought they still produced the dc10, but sold it as a package with their "STUDIO" software.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

SephirothJenova
Org Profile

Post by SephirothJenova » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:22 pm

You mean that Studio AV 8 thingy that Pinnacle has out? It's like $130 I think, but I'd like some feedback on how it is. Is it just as good as their old Studio DC10+?

Sephiroth

J89idsioss
Org Profile

Post by J89idsioss » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:14 pm

Ok I've tested the card out now. I can say, it gives me good captures with sound. I think it's well worth it. It also does S-Video imput too, but I don't have that for my PS2. Please note though that when you first use the card, you need to adjust the color, brightness & such of the card. Also use the NTSC-J mode when recording because it will be too dull on the other setting.

I can record TV shows with it too. Cool card. I'd reccomend.
(If you're wondering why the card is so cheap, it's made by a Taiwanese company.) :)

J89idsioss
Org Profile

Post by J89idsioss » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:18 pm

jonmartensen wrote:
Zaliek wrote:I haven't Installed it yet, but I got a card that matches your description. It's found here. It comes with cable tv connector and regular yellow connector in. Also S-video in and a little box that connects to the back and has s-video & regular inputs. Comes with capture software. And lastly, a remote so you can record from across the room.

$34.00

Your sig is to big, 600 x 40 max.
Isn't yours too? I'll cut down the size though.

SephirothJenova
Org Profile

Post by SephirothJenova » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:46 pm

Zaliek: I'll check it out. I'm actually considering the Pinnacle Studio AV 8, but you card looks alright. I also like your signature image, but that's probably because I'm obsessed over Sephiroth.

Sephiroth ~~ See?

Return to “Hardware Discussion”