Damn Dell!

Akashio
Org Profile

Damn Dell!

Post by Akashio » Tue May 27, 2003 7:17 pm

Ok. So I turn on my computer I just built and before it gets to the WIN98SE boot-up screen (the logo surrounded by clouds with the little moving bar on the bottom), it says "Y2000RTC -- THis version of software only for use with DELL BIOS." I'm like 'okay...' and I hit enter and it starts to boot up. However, from then on, the booting process takes over 30 minutes! only a tenth of the time does it reach the password/log on screen and even then if I put my password in, it freezes before it can load anything on the desktop. SOMEONE HELP ME! I AM GOING TO SHOOT MYSELF!

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Tue May 27, 2003 7:20 pm

Well, I have no idea what the problem may be, but....DELL SUCKS!!!!

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Tue May 27, 2003 7:55 pm

DUDE YOU'RE..
no.. I'll contain myself
◔ ◡ ◔

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue May 27, 2003 7:58 pm

I think you need to like umm, re-install your operating system :/

You most likely grabbed the old hard drive and are trying to use it. DELL probably got a version that only worked if the BIOS identified itself as a DELL bios. Your new computer does not. Thus you need to 'obtain' a new OS. Go out and Get XP home or something. :|

~klinky

Akashio
Org Profile

Post by Akashio » Tue May 27, 2003 9:57 pm

What if I installed the OS on the slave drive? Could I get rid of the dell menace once inside??

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Tue May 27, 2003 10:52 pm

You could try that. Just be sure to set the boot order in your BIOS to boot from the slave. That might not work, though - your BIOS might still try to boot from the master.

Alternatively, and I might recommend this:

1. Disconnect your current boot/master drive from the IDE cable.
2. Set the slave as master. Perhaps put it on the first IDE plug on the IDE cable, on the first IDE channel.
3. Install Windows on it and see how it boots up. If it still does what it's doing, you could safely assume that the Windows disc you're using has code on it that messes up on non-Dell computers, and you will need to buy a new, non corporate-proprietary copy of Windows.

If, on the other hand, it boots normally, you can install all the drivers (chipset first!) and such, set the disconnected master drive as a slave and install it on the second IDE plug, and then have a working comp that way. Or you can install just the chipset drivers, copy over all the crucial data from the former master drive you may want to save, and then format the master and reinstall Windows on that.
I'm out...

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue May 27, 2003 11:04 pm

You can install an OS on the slave drive, but chances are the disk that came with your Dell won't even let you install on non-Dell hardware, and it probably wouldn't work right, even if it did. Dell likes to use custom, non-standard hardware, and they've most likely trimmed out many of the standard drivers, etc that should be on a windows disk, and/or put protections on the installer so it will only work on a Dell system similar to the one you had.

Time to move on to WinXP or at least 2K.

1) Obtain a new OS.

2) Remove your old drive, and put the new one in as master. Do not attach your old drive yet.

3) Format the new drive as NTFS, after booting from your new OS CD, and install windows.

4) Install all your necessary drivers, etc.

4) Now install the old drive as slave, and copy over all the files that you might possibly want to save to the new drive, and then format your old drive as NTFS.

Sorry, but that's the only way to have a clean, nearly certain to work right new system.

This will also allow you to reap the benefits of the NT kernel's much improved stability, and the much more capable NTFS file system.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed May 28, 2003 10:48 am

FurryCurry wrote:You can install an OS on the slave drive, but chances are the disk that came with your Dell won't even let you install on non-Dell hardware, and it probably wouldn't work right, even if it did. Dell likes to use custom, non-standard hardware, and they've most likely trimmed out many of the standard drivers, etc that should be on a windows disk, and/or put protections on the installer so it will only work on a Dell system similar to the one you had.

Time to move on to WinXP or at least 2K.

1) Obtain a new OS.

2) Remove your old drive, and put the new one in as master. Do not attach your old drive yet.

3) Format the new drive as NTFS, after booting from your new OS CD, and install windows.

4) Install all your necessary drivers, etc.

4) Now install the old drive as slave, and copy over all the files that you might possibly want to save to the new drive, and then format your old drive as NTFS.

Sorry, but that's the only way to have a clean, nearly certain to work right new system.

This will also allow you to reap the benefits of the NT kernel's much improved stability, and the much more capable NTFS file system.
I'm with FurryCurry on this one (and not only because his sig entrances me). It's better to just start from scratch with new computers. Your old drive has all this other "clutter" with it and obviously the OS is having issues since it's not a Dell.

I know it sucks to start over, but at the same time, it's the safest. Also it's usually safe to reinstall the OS every 2 years or so.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Wed May 28, 2003 2:09 pm

FurryCurry wrote:but chances are the disk that came with your Dell won't even let you install on non-Dell hardware
I too am with Furry on this. It is very common for OEM (original equipment manufacturer) versions of Windows Anything to be crippled to only work with their hardware. This is because it actually costs more (in license fees to M$) to ship "open" versions.

Some manufactures (for example: Sony) even check the country code on the BIOS - meaning that a US OEM version of XP from Sony won't work on a German machine even though it might be the same model is the US one!

You best hope is to go to a local computer store and plead your case, if you are lucky they may sell you an open OEM version of the OS (which is about half the price of the retail version). Failing that you could try for an education discount (assuming you are still at school).

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Wed May 28, 2003 3:30 pm

I must note that klinky said it first, I was just wordier about it.

Akashio, where did you buy your parts? on the net? a local computer store?

Usually all you need to do to qualify to purchase an OEM edition of windows is buy a motherboard or hard drive. if you bought your stuff locally, they may be able to append a copy of XP onto your old invoice, or bring in the box your Mobo came in, "return" it, and then "buy" it again, this time with a copy of XP home.
(the box is just for barcode/product code scanning for the clerk's benefit.)

If you bought the stuff over the net, you could try calling their customer service and pleading your case (tell them you just plain forgot to order it with your mobo), to see if they'll sell you an OEM copy.

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Fri May 30, 2003 10:32 pm

Final Solution to the Dell Problem:

Back up everything that you can't immediately replace or reinstall.
Reformat all your Dell-tainted hard drives
Install Windows 2000. If you cannot find 2000, then get XP Home. If you cannot find either, get XP Pro. If you cannot find any of those... get a Mac.
Move everything from your backups to your shiny, reformatted hard drives.

If your PC still gives you shit, then take it outside and shoot it. Or replace the motherboard.
Old Fogey

Return to “Hardware Discussion”