Starting a New PC

hackerzc
Org Profile

Starting a New PC

Post by hackerzc » Fri May 16, 2003 7:41 pm

Ok, so I want to make a New Editing PC. Problem is, I have a LOT of valuble stuff on my hard drive that I would like moved over to the new one (programs, files, SETTINGS!).

Question is, what is the easiest way of doing this. Personally I would just copy my old HDD to a new LARGER one then stick that in the new PC as my main drive (this is assuming both new and old drives are the same type). The problem is, there are some programs and stuff on the old drive that relate to the old hardware only, and might conflict woth software for the new hardware which would have to be installed.

So computer experts, how can I solve this little problem?

I would prefer to stay as far away from installing everytihng from scratch as I can.
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Fri May 16, 2003 9:07 pm

First, will you be using your current hard drive in your new machine? And what OS are you using?

Anyhow, IMO, your best bet would probably be to install an OS on the new machine, install your current hard drive(s), copy over the data you want to keep (images, text documents, saved games, Premiere projects, things like that) and then install your programs fresh. Or install the programs and then the data. Maybe research the programs with the settings you want to keep and see if they have any sort of configuration file.

Sounds like a pain, but it's really less of one than having to deal with possibly troubleshooting non-functioning or improperly running programs.

Booting up an installed version of Windows from one PC on a different PC with newer/different hardware will still probably require driver installs, can kill your stability and performance, cause application conflicts, and in some cases hose the installation, requiring a reinstall anyhow....

Anyhow, fresh install is what I'd do :) . Although you could boot the version of Windows currently installed on your new PC and see what happens if you wish.

Alternately, you could try:

1. Install the OS and drivers on the new PC. Try to keep the drive letter setup as close to the same as your current PC.

2. Export your current registry, copying the .REG file and the subfolders in your Program Files folder(s) onto the new PC, and then importing the .REG file into the registry. Also click on Start, go to Programs, right click and choose Open, and copy the folder links into the Start Menu folder on the new computer.

3. Try your programs.

I have no idea if that'd work or not, but hey, it's worth a shot. Any data loss or problems aren't my responsibility, of course.

Anyhow, good luck.
I'm out...

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Fri May 16, 2003 9:31 pm

I feel your pain. I'm posting now to avoid the last, miserable bits of a system move myself. :oops:

1) I think there is no substitute for a good, clean format & system install.
What I'd do in your position is export everything exportable, (email, cookies, favorites, IRC settings, whatever you can think of that has an export function) do a clean install on your new HD, then add your old HD in as a slave drive, and copy over all your data files to the new system drive, format the old drive, and use it as scratch space for VOBs and temporary files. The old drive WILL fail someday, PROBABLY before the new one, and the only sure solution is to have the important stuff backed up on CD.

2) If you just copy the files from one drive to the other, you will most likely find yourself missing the boot block, and needing to do a repair install ( or worse, a full install) anyway. The only certain way I know to copy EVERYTHING is to use a drive imaging program like Norton Ghost, or sometimes Retail boxed hard drives come with software to partition and migrate over everything just like you want to do.

3) Even if you migrate everything, you still have the problem of the old hardware stuff being in there, which will often result in gems like "inaccessible boot device" on a blue screen when you try to boot up using your new motherboard. That said, take a look at this Ars Technica thread, and see if you think you want to try it.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Sat May 17, 2003 1:14 am

If you are running XP, it has the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools). All you need is a local LAN, a NULL modem cable, or something of that ilk.

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Sat May 17, 2003 1:00 pm

kmv wrote:If you are running XP, it has the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools). All you need is a local LAN, a NULL modem cable, or something of that ilk.
Well right now I am running Windows XP. I think I will wait untill the 64 bit version, or a newer OS comes out (NOT PALADIUM, FUCK THAT!) before I do all of this, but from what I am hearing here, a totally fresh install of everything seems the way to go.

When that happens I should just be able to transfer over files and images and stuff through my LAN or somehting.(I'm using a link sys router, so that shoudl do the job right?).

It seems like no matter what I do I'll have some sort of problem, so I might as well just do everything from scratch. It will take longer (especially because I am anal about getting every detail of everything set perfectly), but will be better in the long run. Besides, it wil give me something to do :D
John Westbrook

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sat May 17, 2003 3:40 pm

Hey, Hacker, you'll be sharing a room wirth me and Dave (mckeed) at Otakon - ask us both about it then. We both build our own systems, and we both like to talk about computers. :)

Or, if you plan to build before Otakon, catch either of us on AIM...
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat May 17, 2003 4:57 pm

Jbone will just wreck your system. Don't let him near it. My Vector Co-processor fried the algorithm sensor last time he touched my computer.\

~klinky

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Sun May 18, 2003 12:02 am

jbone wrote:Hey, Hacker, you'll be sharing a room wirth me and Dave (mckeed) at Otakon - ask us both about it then. We both build our own systems, and we both like to talk about computers. :)

Or, if you plan to build before Otakon, catch either of us on AIM...
SO YOU'R JASON!!!! I never knew you were.....you.

Lets see here.........NY, interesting...........a B.S., well damn you SHOULD know your shit.

Damn only 3 years older then me........bastard, now I need to catch up in my education because of you (I have a habbit of comparing myself with others. It's is a very depressing and psychologicly damaging pass time.)

I build my most recient machine myself (kinda). It started as an upgrade, but I ended up replacing everything, so I don't know.
John Westbrook

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Sun May 18, 2003 12:08 am

klinky wrote:Jbone will just wreck your system. Don't let him near it. My Vector Co-processor fried the algorithm sensor last time he touched my computer.\

~klinky
Say what now? Please say this is some shit you just made up, because it makes no sence. WTF is an algorithm sensor, lol?
John Westbrook

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Sun May 18, 2003 12:30 am

An algorithm sensor works with a vector co-processor to hamper the computer's innate AI abilities. What will happen if a computer has unhampered AI? Something bad enough to warrant being included in the 1994 crime control and 1943 agricultural sabotage acts, as well as Iowa House bill 945.3d, the bill to increase subsidies to pork farmers for the 1967-1968 fiscal year.

This is why only NASA, the secret Area 51 research labs, and the Mendocino Count Butterfly Counting Program can have computers without vector co-processors.
I'm out...

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Mon May 19, 2003 5:59 am

kthulhu wrote:An algorithm sensor works with a vector co-processor to hamper the computer's innate AI abilities. What will happen if a computer has unhampered AI? Something bad enough to warrant being included in the 1994 crime control and 1943 agricultural sabotage acts, as well as Iowa House bill 945.3d, the bill to increase subsidies to pork farmers for the 1967-1968 fiscal year.

This is why only NASA, the secret Area 51 research labs, and the Mendocino Count Butterfly Counting Program can have computers without vector co-processors.
ohhhhhhh, I want some one to get rid of MY vector co-processor!
Don't know why..........I guess just to be a pain in the ass.........and to be like NASA, cause they are cool. They got rockets and shuttles, and zero-G trained woman. Oh imagine the things they can do......... :P
John Westbrook

DreamsofaCobra
Org Profile

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Mon May 19, 2003 3:33 pm

kthulhu wrote:An algorithm sensor works with a vector co-processor to hamper the computer's innate AI abilities. What will happen if a computer has unhampered AI? Something bad enough to warrant being included in the 1994 crime control and 1943 agricultural sabotage acts, as well as Iowa House bill 945.3d, the bill to increase subsidies to pork farmers for the 1967-1968 fiscal year.

Sounds like a trip, like something out of Terminator.
Anyone know exactly what are they trying to prevent?

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Mon May 19, 2003 5:45 pm

hackerzc wrote:ohhhhhhh, I want some one to get rid of MY vector co-processor!
Don't know why..........I guess just to be a pain in the ass.........and to be like NASA, cause they are cool. They got rockets and shuttles, and zero-G trained woman. Oh imagine the things they can do......... :P
and right after that you'll go out to your 4cy car put lowered suspension, a ground effects kit, some HID, a flowmaster and a huge Supra spoiler on the back, right?

;p
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

DreamsofaCobra
Org Profile

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Mon May 19, 2003 6:36 pm

and Altezzas! can't forget Altezzas.

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Mon May 19, 2003 7:31 pm

sixstop wrote:
hackerzc wrote:ohhhhhhh, I want some one to get rid of MY vector co-processor!
and right after that you'll go out to your 4cy car put lowered suspension, a ground effects kit, some HID, a flowmaster and a huge Supra spoiler on the back, right?

;p
Actually I already have the spoiler, and I drive a pickup
John Westbrook

Return to “Hardware Discussion”