stupid time with friends

aznfs
Org Profile

stupid time with friends

Post by aznfs » Wed May 14, 2003 11:55 am

so me and my friends want to make a full media system, connected to a 3 200gb server. enough of that. i want to stick some good equipment on the thing, so what are some good things to stick on the system with the limit of $2000 for vid stuff? :wink:

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed May 14, 2003 12:26 pm

Well you could probably build a couple systems for $2K.

Athlon XP 1.73Ghz
Chaintech Nforce2 IGP motherboard
512MB PC2700 DDR Ram
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM 2MB cache hard drive
16X DVD-ROM
52X24X52 CDRW
Keyboard/Mouse(logitech opticals are cheap & very nice)

$505

The motherboard includes pretty darn good audio/video/lan for it all being integrated on the motherboard. Nforce chipset is designed by nVidia and supports dual-channel ddr memory = big performance boost. Also the onboard video is decent enough to play many recent games on, it's equal to about a Geforce4 MX(which is around Geforce2 GTS) speeds. If you feel the need to upgrade you can since they leave the AGP slot in. The sound is said to be quite nice and rivals add-in solutions(creative, turtle beach).

If you need Premiere, you should buy it in a DV200 bundle. That will run you about $250 per DV200. DV200 is a DV capture card as well. Premiere is normally about $550.

There is also the option of not getting any CDRWs for any of those comptuers and just investing your money into a single DVD-RW drive. Which could backup your projects and allow you to master DVDs.

I would forget about having a "3x200GB(600GB) server". Unless you already have it. Maybe it would be useful for storing backups. What with each computer having 120GB of space, I don't think you'll need the server. Also even over a 100mbps network, it's still no where near as fast as having it local.

If you just need one computer than I would go all out and get a GB of DDR, dual Athlon MPs(XPs can be used put aren't garunteed) & a SCSI setup. Oh and a Radeon 9800 Pro. :P

I think the system I listed above will give you the best bang for your buck. You can use one of them as a server if you want. Get three then max out the disks on one of them.

~klinky

~klinky

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Wed May 14, 2003 6:37 pm

What about monitors?
I'm out...

aznfs
Org Profile

Post by aznfs » Thu May 15, 2003 3:01 pm

What about monitors?

Well we are going to set up a server not a stand alone computer, so in any case if we want to check the stats of our system we would just use a laptop.

I was looking for a good video media system, i want to have video editing softwarre, including vegas and P 6.0, of course i already have those

someone wants to get a plasma screen though... scary :shock:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”