Monitor makes noises

User avatar
Chaos Angel
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:34 am
Location: Vidderating
Contact:
Org Profile

Monitor makes noises

Post by Chaos Angel » Mon May 12, 2003 11:52 pm

My monitor makes whining noises when it's left on too long, and the back feels really warm, or at least warmer than the monitor on my parents computer, and it doesn't whine.

Is my monitor gonna explode in my face?
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

User avatar
RadicalEd0
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:58 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon May 12, 2003 11:59 pm

that would suck :\
imagine a virus that tells the video card to like heat up the cathodes to a bazillion degrees and blows up your monitor in your face :o
ok so maybe that isnt possible :\ but I heard there were ones that could cause the monitor to release toxins :o
kah-razy
eh! steve!
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

User avatar
kthulhu
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:01 pm
Location: At the pony stable, brushing the pretty ponies
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Tue May 13, 2003 1:04 am

That shit doesn't help, Tab.

I take it this has started happening recently? How old is the monitor?

Odds are the tube is probably going to crap out.
I'm out...

User avatar
SS5_Majin_Bebi
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:07 pm
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Tue May 13, 2003 6:29 pm

Thats been happening to me too... :shock: like sometimes when I turn the moniter on it squeals a bit, like a mouse squeak (and no, thats not normal its only doing it recently), sometimes the screen blinks out for half a second, it flickers really disturbingly sometimes too, and sometimes when it flickers i hear a small crackling noise too. But theres no funny smell coming from it....I just dont wanna end up with like, and 8-inch shard of glass in my face or anything, coz that would suck just a little bit.

User avatar
Dannywilson
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:36 am
Location: In love with Dr. Girlfriend
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Wed May 14, 2003 12:00 pm

It's just the massive capacitors that supply the juice to the CRT getting old. They arent dangerous when left alone, but it could mean you may be in need of a new monitor in the near future. It's the same noise you hear when you charge the flash on a disposable camera. Those capacitors are the same reason you should never take your monitor or TV apart, they store massive amounts of electricity, even after being turned off for up to 4 months. If you accidentally touch them, be prepared to die, or at least suffer massive electrical burns and severe pain.

-Danny Wilson, Reluctant Electrical Technician
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

User avatar
klinky
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2001 12:23 am
Location: Cookie College...
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed May 14, 2003 12:30 pm

DON'T LISTEN TO DANNYWILSON!


FIX THE MONITOR WITH A BUTTER KNIFE!

User avatar
SS5_Majin_Bebi
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:07 pm
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed May 14, 2003 6:28 pm

klinky wrote:DON'T LISTEN TO DANNYWILSON!


FIX THE MONITOR WITH A BUTTER KNIFE!
A butter knife, a steel pendant chain and a cup of salty water. Fun fun fun!!

User avatar
nailz
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:32 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by nailz » Thu May 15, 2003 12:36 pm

Dannywilson wrote: If you accidentally touch them, be prepared to die, or at least suffer massive electrical burns and severe pain.

Oooh, a capacitor! I'll accidently touch this end... and then accidentally touch this end, and then get a spatula to scrape myself off the wall!
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

User avatar
Mr Pilkington
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:10 pm
Status: Stay outa my shed
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Monitor makes noises

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu May 15, 2003 2:08 pm

Chaos Angel wrote:My monitor makes whining noises when it's left on too long, and the back feels really warm, or at least warmer than the monitor on my parents computer, and it doesn't whine.

Is my monitor gonna explode in my face?
What ever you do, don't, DON'T, bludgeon your monitor into submission. They tend not to like that. Plus electrical burns are no fun.

Try toying w/ the Hz setting. Or you could try the butter knife idea, but I find a grapefruit spoon far more effective.
Image
<Orwell> WTF are they doing upstairs. Almost sounds like construction
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
<inthesto> He takes her stuff / <inthesto> And then poops in her vagina

User avatar
Dannywilson
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:36 am
Location: In love with Dr. Girlfriend
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Thu May 15, 2003 3:56 pm

nailz1000 wrote:
Dannywilson wrote: If you accidentally touch them, be prepared to die, or at least suffer massive electrical burns and severe pain.

Oooh, a capacitor! I'll accidently touch this end... and then accidentally touch this end, and then get a spatula to scrape myself off the wall!
You don't actually need to touch both ends, either will do, because electricity doesn't care how it gets to the ground, and you make an especially good conduit for that purpose. Most people think of AC acting as would a DC battery, where they would have to touch both ends (Think putting a 9V batteries terminals to your tongue), but in fact, all AC is looking to do (in most applications anyaways) is get to the largest dispersion body around, that being the rather large planet beneath your feet.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

User avatar
SS5_Majin_Bebi
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:07 pm
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Fri May 16, 2003 12:32 am

*Bzzzzt....*

WTF?
*goes to the kitchen, gets a butter knife and dismantles monitor*

Oh, the capacitors fucked. Well, let me just grab it and..

ZZZZZZAAAARRRRKKKKKK*----POP*

Oh. I see your point Danny.

User avatar
nailz
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:32 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by nailz » Fri May 16, 2003 3:27 pm

Dannywilson wrote:You don't actually need to touch both ends, either will do, because electricity doesn't care how it gets to the ground, and you make an especially good conduit for that purpose. Most people think of AC acting as would a DC battery, where they would have to touch both ends (Think putting a 9V batteries terminals to your tongue), but in fact, all AC is looking to do (in most applications anyaways) is get to the largest dispersion body around, that being the rather large planet beneath your feet.
<zim>FILTHY BAG OF MEAT AND HAIR. IT'S A JOKE. JOKE!! LAUGH AT IT'S INGENIOUS HUMOR AND CRINGE BEFORE MY ORANGES. </zim>
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

User avatar
Dannywilson
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:36 am
Location: In love with Dr. Girlfriend
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Fri May 16, 2003 6:40 pm

It was just a little electronics lesson. Dont take me too seriously... :\
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

User avatar
DreamsofaCobra
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:34 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Sat May 17, 2003 4:59 am

Dannywilson wrote:You don't actually need to touch both ends, either will do, because electricity doesn't care how it gets to the ground, and you make an especially good conduit for that purpose. Most people think of AC acting as would a DC battery, where they would have to touch both ends (Think putting a 9V batteries terminals to your tongue), but in fact, all AC is looking to do (in most applications anyaways) is get to the largest dispersion body around, that being the rather large planet beneath your feet.
Before anyone gets annoyed, I am not taking things too seriously, I am just a little curious. A few years ago I took a class on basic electronics, and to my understanding, a charge from a capacitor is not "AC", rather it is closer to being a static charge, like a battery that discarges everything very quickly, as opposed to a normal battery with a constant voltage. Given the fact that a capacitor is where you have a two plates close to each other, with a dielectric of some sort inbetween. One plate is negativley charged, ie, has all the electrons, and their desire is not to get to ground, but the other plate. Not that I am saying you are wrong, I could be completely ignorant, (it has happened before, believe it or not!) and would like clarification by those more knowlegable.

I do agree that capacitors are dangerous,

User avatar
Mr Pilkington
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:10 pm
Status: Stay outa my shed
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sat May 17, 2003 10:34 am

DreamsofaCobra wrote:I do agree that capacitors are dangerous,
Dangerous?
I belive the word your looking for is fun...



"Capacitors are fun."
Image
<Orwell> WTF are they doing upstairs. Almost sounds like construction
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
<inthesto> He takes her stuff / <inthesto> And then poops in her vagina

Locked

Return to “Hardware Discussion”