Desktop Solution for Video Editing

Elcalavero
Org Profile

Desktop Solution for Video Editing

Post by Elcalavero » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:36 pm

I might as well post this since I have somehow managed to convince a few friends/family to buy this thing (on the condition that I build it for them).

When buying a desktop, I always recommend a Intel Processor and Nvidia GTX graphics card.(If possible, always buy the latest and greatest). I cannot recommend AMD processors or AMD graphics cards at this time.

This Newegg Combo is the computer I recommend for "best bang for your buck". It seems out of stock atm, but I sure it will be back in stock soon.

Combined Cost: $555.98 ($520.98 after $35.00 rebates)

Items:
Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Quad-Core 3.2GHz
ASUS H110M-E/M.2 mATX
G.SKILL NT Series 8GB DDR4 2400
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 3GB GPU
EVGA 430W
Team Group EVO 2.5" 120GB SSD
Rosewill Line-M mATX

Although I do highly recommend this desktop, there are a few cons that you might consider before buying this thing.

Cons:
1.You have to build it yourself. (Learning is good)
2.Does not include a DVD/BD Drive. (You can add one to your order, or use one that you already have at home,etc)
3.Includes a 120GB SSD but you might need more space. ( You might need to add a 1TB+ hard drive to your order)
4.MicroTower + MicroATX motherboard (Some people don't like these form factors because they believe it brings many disadvantages in comparison to regular ATX. Unless your going to add a 2nd video card to your build (SLI), I believe these worries are not warranted.)

That's it. Don't be fooled by the modest price, this desktop is a high end desktop. This is a low price for the performance you are getting. If you can find better deal, please post it on this forum post. I would actually be interested. Newegg does have a "Supercombo" that is similar as above but with a 1050 TI GPU for $530.99($490.99 after $40 rebates) but I do not recommend this one as the one above is defintely a better "Performance per dollar" deal.

Passmark Score (Higher is better)
GTX 1060 3GB (8,706)
GTX 1050 TI (5,987)

Source: PassMark

Return to “Hardware Discussion”