Nvidia & ATI Question

omega1979
Org Profile

Nvidia & ATI Question

Post by omega1979 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:18 am

Im building a computer for AMV & Multi-Media Creation. The graphics card in using is a Nvidia GeForce4 TI 4200. my question is. i herd that the ATI Tv Wonder DV would be a good capture card. i have herd that sometimes nvidea &ati drivesr fight each othr. Is this tue? any help in this question is greatly apreceated

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:15 am

ATI video card drivers, yes. You can use a Nvidia card with one of their capture cards. You may look into getting something like a ATI All-In-Wonder 8500, which is pretty nice from what I hear.

It's got everthing on a single card ^_^, pretty spiffy.

Though your combo there should still work just fine.

~klinky

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:02 pm

All the Geforce 4 Ti cards have a composite and s-video inputs and outputs, and they work relatively well for low-level vid capture and output.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:06 pm

I know a number of folks that have Hauppage TV/capture cards, and are quite happy with them, particularly the model 401.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:04 pm

Dannywilson wrote:All the Geforce 4 Ti cards have a composite and s-video inputs and outputs, and they work relatively well for low-level vid capture and output.
I wouldn't even say low-level. My GeForce4 TI 4200 captures 720x480 at 29.97 fps with no frame loss. It's not even a capture card, it's just a normal video card with a video in/video out slot. Yay!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:19 pm

klinky wrote:ATI video card drivers, yes. You can use a Nvidia card with one of their capture cards. You may look into getting something like a ATI All-In-Wonder 8500, which is pretty nice from what I hear.

It's got everthing on a single card ^_^, pretty spiffy.

Though your combo there should still work just fine.

~klinky

There are quite a few ti's with only S-video out or no video in/out at all.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm

fudge :\ that was response to you danny >_>

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:33 pm

Ok Klinky. You win. Not all ti's have vid in. But I said the geforce 4 ti family. Not 2. Not 3. All of which have this nifty little plug DESIGNED INTO THE CHIPSET BY NVIDIA! It's not a manufacturer to manufacturer deal anymore. The all come with this now.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:26 pm

Dannywilson wrote:Ok Klinky. You win. Not all ti's have vid in. But I said the geforce 4 ti family. Not 2. Not 3. All of which have this nifty little plug DESIGNED INTO THE CHIPSET BY NVIDIA! It's not a manufacturer to manufacturer deal anymore. The all come with this now.

No it's not designed into the Geforce4 chipset. The 2D/3D engine is designed by Nvidia. VIVO(video in/video out) or TV-out is from a third party.

Usually VIVO is in the form of a Philips 7108 processor. TV out chips are from Conexant, a Philips 7102 or somebody else. My friend just got a Geforce4 with NO TV in/out.

It's not standard. Companies can leave it out if they feel like cutting costs. If you want VIVO, then you make sure it states VIVO in the specs.

~klinky

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:55 am

Fook dat, be cheap like me and use a DVD ROM with Domestic DVDs ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:05 am

klinky wrote: It's not standard. Companies can leave it out if they feel like cutting costs. If you want VIVO, then you make sure it states VIVO in the specs.
~klinky
(nod nod). I suggest a Gainward card if you want that. I have S-video in/out and standard video-in/out.
Fook dat, be cheap like me and use a DVD ROM with Domestic DVDs ^_^
Ditto :). I guess I might use it if I need to capture game footage or something really obscure.
-Daniel

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:04 am

Well. You learn something new every fucking day. Personally, I couldnt find the hardware specs down that far to realize that it wasnt standard. The sad thing is though, any of the 4200's, 4600's, and 4800's worth buying has one of those on it, and along with my original point, it works well for the price, nothing like the ATI's, which have always suffered from hardware difficultys.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:59 am

Dannywilson wrote:nothing like the ATI's, which have always suffered from hardware difficultys.
Well I think the hardware is alright, it's the drivers. With nVidia, you basically get a hardware upgrade every few months with their Detonator Drivers being upgraded (some times it's a 15% increase). As for ATI, my friend worked for Volition (makers of Summoner and Red Faction) and while programming Red Faction, he said that ATI drivers are some of the worst. They are not optimized and badly designed. Perhaps they've gotten better, but I still read about them having issues.
-Daniel

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:47 pm

Well the ATI Catalyst drivers are ALOT better then their old ones.

ATI currently holds the performance crown with the Radeon 9700 Pro and the soon to be released 9800.

Usually with ATI the hardware has been ok, it's just the software is suck, like dwchang said. I had a Xpert98(Rage Pro Turbo). Crappiest card ever! 2D was ok, but 3D just stank. It didn't even support Alpha Blending properly x_X.

Now though, I am looking into getting a Radeon 9100 card to replace my aging GF2 :cry: . Since it's cheaper then a GF4 and has near or equal GF4 performance.

Oh and there was also the great Radeon 9500 > 9700 hack that was going around just a few weeks ago. That would have been cool, but I had no money. But it was basically a hack that let you turn a Radeon 9500(which has only 4 working pipelines) into a Radeon 9700(which has 8 working pipelines) which costs 2x the amount of a Radeon 9500 and is about 2x as fast.

ATI isn't half bad now adays.

~klinky

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:37 pm

klinky wrote:Well the ATI Catalyst drivers are ALOT better then their old ones.

ATI currently holds the performance crown with the Radeon 9700 Pro and the soon to be released 9800.

Usually with ATI the hardware has been ok, it's just the software is suck, like dwchang said. I had a Xpert98(Rage Pro Turbo). Crappiest card ever! 2D was ok, but 3D just stank. It didn't even support Alpha Blending properly x_X.

ATI isn't half bad now adays.

~klinky
IC interesting. I did know ATI had the performance crown, but never knew their drivers got better (since I'm an nVidia guy). Good to see that they are getting better b/c when there is competition, prices go up and more innovations come. Then again, nVidia is one of our partners, so perhaps not :).
-Daniel

Return to “Hardware Discussion”