What is a Thoroughbred cpu?

Akashio
Org Profile

What is a Thoroughbred cpu?

Post by Akashio » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:00 pm

Hey. I was just about to buy a Athlon motherboard, when I saw the words, "CPU Supported: Socket A AMD Athlon/XP/Duron (support AMD XP3000 "Barton") Thoroughbred core CPU ready."

How do I know if my Athlon 2100+ XP (still in package) will work with it? how do I know if it's thoroughbred? or does it matter?

Anime2Envy
Org Profile

Post by Anime2Envy » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:19 pm

The throughbred is the new version of the XP CPU based off the .13 micron technology. Basicly this means that it run cooler and is more over clockable then the palamento (SP?). The only other difference is that the multiplyer is no locked. No matter which CPU you have I am sure the board wont care (as long as it is an Athlon 8) )

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: What is a Thoroughbred cpu?

Post by dwchang » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:28 pm

Akashio wrote:Hey. I was just about to buy a Athlon motherboard, when I saw the words, "CPU Supported: Socket A AMD Athlon/XP/Duron (support AMD XP3000 "Barton") Thoroughbred core CPU ready."

How do I know if my Athlon 2100+ XP (still in package) will work with it? how do I know if it's thoroughbred? or does it matter?
First off, your Palamino (the 2100+) will work just fine since it is Socket A and an Athlon XP.

As for what a Thoroughbred is. Thoroughbred is a design revision of the Athlon core. It has "tweaks" and improvements for higher frequency (Thoroughbred A/BX goes from 2200+ to 2800+). As Anime2Envy mentioned, this is on the .13 micro process, however the only difference is not just the multiplyer. As I said, it was a design revision and has changes in the core as mentioned. Also, some of the units support a 333 Mhz FSB.

On a side-note, Barton is another design revision. The major change being an increased cache size (256 -> 512 KB). These also run in the 333 Mhz FSB.

Basic timeline:
K7/Athlon
K7 Classic -> Thunderbird -> Palamino -> Thoroughbred -> Barton
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Re: What is a Thoroughbred cpu?

Post by jonmartensen » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:43 pm

Akashio wrote:Hey. I was just about to buy a Athlon motherboard, when I saw the words, "CPU Supported: Socket A AMD Athlon/XP/Duron (support AMD XP3000 "Barton") Thoroughbred core CPU ready."

Looks like the 411 has already been given in quite detail, but for simplicities sake.

At this point in time, all you have to worry about is whether the CPU will fit Socket A.
Any XP cpu fits in the Socket A profile, so no worries :D :up:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”