Pricewatch help...

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:38 am

Ashyukun wrote:I was at the NYC one- ended up with a hat.

Both of the guys in the finals of the PC Building contest hooked up the floppy drive cable backwards. Still, I don't feel too sorry for them... while I can't remember if they walked away with any money, they both got two free CPUs and some other AMD swag out of the deal. :P
A hat? Does that mean you were in the "question" part? I'm not sure...I wasn't a rep. They got CPUs even though they lost? That's cool. I bet they were something like Palaminos though :). My friends back at school complain since we usually give out Palaminos instead of T-breds or Bartons. They don't understand this "cost cutting" concept. Then again, I have quite a few parts lying around that well...won't be going anyway, but I would get fired for that :)
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:23 pm

No- it means I have quicker reflexes than at least some of the people that were there and was able to catch one of the dozen or so hats that were thrown from the stage (along with bags, shirts) to/at the audience. :wink:

As I understand it, at each stage of the contest the contestants got a priza package that included a CPU (can't remember what kind, wanna think something 2K+). This means that everyone who was in the 'game show' portion (a total of 8 people, I believe) got a CPU+swag. The two finalists were given yet another for participating in the final competition (irrelevant of how they did). I forget if they were given some parting prize for having actually gotten the computers to post, but not without errors (one actually booted into Windoze in spite of the reversed floppy cable- most of the attendees thought he should have won the cash prize for that).
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:17 pm

Ashyukun wrote:No- it means I have quicker reflexes than at least some of the people that were there and was able to catch one of the dozen or so hats that were thrown from the stage (along with bags, shirts) to/at the audience. :wink:

As I understand it, at each stage of the contest the contestants got a priza package that included a CPU (can't remember what kind, wanna think something 2K+). This means that everyone who was in the 'game show' portion (a total of 8 people, I believe) got a CPU+swag. The two finalists were given yet another for participating in the final competition (irrelevant of how they did). I forget if they were given some parting prize for having actually gotten the computers to post, but not without errors (one actually booted into Windoze in spite of the reversed floppy cable- most of the attendees thought he should have won the cash prize for that).
Well if I'm ever at a con and someone asks, I have tons of t-shirts! Hell, I sometimes go recruit so I get some nice swag to give out then. I'm surprised they gave a model 2XXX. That's definitely a T-bred or higher. Wow!

As for not getting the cash price, I once again refer to "cost cutting" :). Although I am surprised almost no one got it to work. Given I don't know how I would perform with a time limit, but I'd like to think I can do it.
-Daniel

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:51 am

If you are going to the A-Kon this year I'll take a shirt.
P.S. are you an ROC?

Sinime
Org Profile

Post by Sinime » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:01 am

Sorry for the double post, but on my cigarette break I was thinking about the K6-2 vs Pentium II and if I recall clock for clock Intel ruled but price for price AMD ruled. (I’m just throwing out figures here so don’t quote me) It seemed you could buy a K6-2 @ 100-200MHz faster then the same priced Intel chip. I guess AMD would have had negative PR Ratings (a 500MHz K6-2 might have been a 300+ or 400+) :)

Again sorry for the double post.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:38 am

Sinime wrote:If you are going to the A-Kon this year I'll take a shirt.
P.S. are you an ROC?
ROC? I'm not familiar with that anagram. I am a Computer Engineer here, but I also do recruiting at my Alma Mater (University of Illinois) a few times a year.

As for shirts, it's fairly easy to get them. At the career fair we literally have thousands and usually have hundreds left. We use them to barter for other freebies with other companies :). Oh and I am going to A-kon so just remind me closer to May.
-Daniel

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:39 am

Sinime wrote:Sorry for the double post, but on my cigarette break I was thinking about the K6-2 vs Pentium II and if I recall clock for clock Intel ruled but price for price AMD ruled. (I’m just throwing out figures here so don’t quote me) It seemed you could buy a K6-2 @ 100-200MHz faster then the same priced Intel chip. I guess AMD would have had negative PR Ratings (a 500MHz K6-2 might have been a 300+ or 400+) :)

Again sorry for the double post.
On a semi-related note, Intel's new Centrino processor may use a PR number too. If you guys are familiar, the Centrino operates at ~1.6 Ghz and yet the P4 Mobile is ~2.4 Ghz. However, the Centrino performs much better (b/c it's the efficient P3 core) than the P4.

I find it hilarious since we've been saying the things about the Mhz myth for ages while Intel continues to brainwash and yet now they need to undo that :).
-Daniel

Return to “Hardware Discussion”