Need help with building an editing PC to use adobe programs

milkmandan
Org Profile

Re: Need help with building an editing PC to use adobe progr

Post by milkmandan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 pm

mirkosp wrote:Let me amend Bashar post, but a cheap NVidia graphic card with cuda support is almost essential if you plan to edit AMVs with Blu-ray discs, as the most reliable way to load Blu-ray footage (particularly if it's interlaced AVC) is dgdecnv, and cuda is a requirement for that to work.
An nvidia card with CUDA also helps in Premiere Pro CS6, with quick rendering. If CUDA is detected you'll get an option called "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" within your Video Rendering project settings. While editing, adding any effects or filters, may not need a quick render for playback as the GPU will "try to" handle it.

iirc, the Intel HD 4000 in your i7, can't be used to help with quick renders in Premiere. Not sure if the new Haswell Iris can help out.

As far as HDDs, Seagate announced last month a competitor for the WD Reds if you're interested. According to reviews and test, it seems to beat out the WD Reds in almost all tests except for the random 4k write latency.

Although, I am not sure why you would use NAS Hard Drives for video editing. WD Reds are created for the NAS environment, and they have firmware features such as TLER and less aggressive head parking. NAS drives also operate at variable rpm speeds (Intellipower for WD) so they don't eat up unnecessary wattage when idle. All of which are rather unnecessary for video editing I feel, since you need performance over features such as "less aggressive head parking" and "low power consumption".

Yeah, they are made for 24x7 operation, but unless you plan to leave your computer on for ever and ever, I feel a performance drive would do you better and last just as long. Just my two cents. :\
====
Maybe too late, but I'd recommend a Haswell cpu instead of Ivy Bridge. Why stick with old tech if you're getting a new compy, unless you're getting a good discount.
Image Image

Return to “Hardware Discussion”