Computers

B4Trilogy
Org Profile

Computers

Post by B4Trilogy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Hello, I've read quite a few threads on computers and hardware, and I've no idea what everyone in those threads were talking about. So I need a little help. I've always wanted to edit and make music videos, videos such as AMVs, RSMVs and montages. The problem I have is that the laptop I use is really virus infested (or ex-infested, it used to have tons of viruses, broke twice (never turned on) so I had to take it to best buy to get it fixed.) So I'm looking for two new computers. I'm 15 and I won't be buying those anytime soon. I'll probably get them after college. I'm willing to wait. (And by that time, things would have changed drastically, but oh well.)
What I want is: 1st comp: one for editing, runs Adobe smoothly and fast. (My current computer runs AAE alright I guess? Takes about 5 minutes to RAM preview 30 seconds on FULL. Lol.)
2nd comp: One for gaming and runs it smoothly even with FRAPs recording. (Or whatever new game recording software there is by that time.)
Laptop or desktop, idc. Also the cheaper the better. :)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: Computers

Post by Kariudo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 pm

If you don't need the mobility of a laptop, then go with a desktop.
If you're gonna be gaming and don't want to pay an arm and a leg, then go with a desktop.

If you're going with a desktop, you won't really need two computers...unless you want a laptop for internetting/word processing on the go (in which case, the laptop that suits those needs will be relatively cheap).

Things to look for in a computer for both editing and gaming:
-Quad core CPU (possibly more if you're going to try recording HD in FRAPS)
-6GB of RAM (or more, especially if you're working on HD stuff in After Effects)
-7200 RPM, SATA II (3.0 Gbps) or SATA III (6.0 Gbps) hard drive (Solid-state drives aren't too well suited for editing)
-Discrete video card with at least 512MB of video memory (512MB can run games just fine on a single 1920 x 1200 monitor. If you run 2 or more monitors for gaming, you'll need a card with more video memory)

You're probably looking at a minimum of $700 USD for that. You might be able to bring that down a bit if you'd be willing to buy the parts and put it together yourself.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”