VCR question

Quu
Org Profile

VCR question

Post by Quu » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:09 pm

what is the best consumer SVHS vcr?

I define a consumer VCR by its ability to play EP recorded tapes

I have a JVC HR-S9800U and a Mitsubishi 790 something...

i also have a pro grade vcr.... but I am looking for something that can playback EP tape...

no matter how many times i say no EP in submission guidlines... someone will submitt in EP...
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:31 pm

Wouldn't that make the submission auto-DQ'd?
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Nightowl
Org Profile

Post by Nightowl » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:49 pm

Get a Sony R5 : ) If you can find one... Nah, the JVCs will run you fine, I have two myself (mostly because they are insanely replaceable). Most prosumer SVHS decks will get you the same picture quality, and like any piece of equipment, won't break down on you if you treat it right. All people have their brand preferences, and at the prosumer level, it truly doesn't matter.

-N

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:51 pm

yes... technically submitting in EP will DQ you...

but for anybody who knows me... i still try really hard to archive your video anyway... just becasue it was DQed from a contest does not mean I should not preserve and store the video...

I try my hardest to make sure that EVERYBODY's video is captured, archived, and preserrved

what are some good prosumer ones?
i have heard mixed things about the AG1980
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:50 pm

While I usually defer to Nathan on technical stuff, he's off his head this time. At the video production house I used to work for, we had a fun little acronym for JVC products: JUST VIDEO CRAP. JVC machines break like mad and require a lot more servicing than their counterparts from good companies like Panasonic. My recommendation is to go with Panasonic's line, they make a bitchin' dual standard machine for about $400 that should be fine.

*refrains from commenting on other subjects*
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

Nightowl
Org Profile

Post by Nightowl » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:24 am

I've had one JVC machine for 6 years and another for 2. I have yet to have any problems with them. I have friends who use these things daily and have no problems with them. I've worked in a great number more video work environments than you, JC, so please - don't act like your opinion is the be all end all. JVC decks can get the job done at an affordable price. And unless you're spending over a grand, you're not going to get much quality difference.

And the Panasonic prosumer SVHS decks are made at the same factory in Mexico as the JVCs. That, and Panasonic VTRs SUCK. If you want to spend $400, be my guest - but keep in mind, Sony is FAR better if you're spending over $200. What you get is dependent on your budget.

And your experience is not the same as everyone else.

It's just that $400 for a prosumer SVHS VCR is a waste of money.

-N

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:20 pm

umm. . .quu? our mitsubishis playback slp/ep . . .

they don't playback lp (4hr) mode i think. . .

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:36 pm

I've used a ton of different VCRs over the past 19 years. The JVC I felt use to be the best for both picture quality and tracking in the past. But now I find JCR quality has really gone down ans I find that JVC deaks have the worst playback picture quality.

The best decks I fins are the Panasonic ones. I use a AG-1980 pro-consumer deak and it have the most clearest quality playback in SP and EP out of any deak I used including Sony. I put an EP tape into one of my JVCs a while back and the picture was very grainy but was fine in my Panasonic deak. I even used EP Taped stuff for a few of my videos a few years ago and no one complained about qaulity....

Vlad

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:18 am

how many lines of resolution does super VHS have.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:22 am

CaTaClYsM wrote:how many lines of resolution does super VHS have.
400 lines (double that of regular VHS).

Vlad

Return to “Hardware Discussion”