Macs vs. PC for video editing, which is better?

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Macs vs. PC for video editing, which is better?

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:05 pm

Which is better for video editing?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:09 pm

Both

Or is it, neither?

The main advantage macs have is a lot of built in video cards. No real difference.

It's mainly you get out what you put in.

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:17 pm

personal choice. I like PCs, but i recognize that Macs have alot of potential. That new Apple Cut 3 or whatever its called (the new Mac Video editor) looks fuckin sweet!!

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:19 pm

is apples software better than PC's? because I find it hard to fathom that there is any software out there that can outdo what adobe premiere can.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:23 pm

what do you mean? They all have the same transitions, or at least the ones you'll actually use *cough*star-wipe*cough*.

Many have multiple timeline options, A/B single track, mutliple audio, title creator....what kind of things does Premiere have that IFinish, Final cut Pro, Media 100 ..etc... don't have?

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:27 pm

the new mac video editor is at least on par with Adobe 6.5, if not better, if the article i read is accurate(at least in raw editing power). However remember the user interface on PCs is different from that of a Mac, ,personally i'd say that all things considered a PC with AP 6.5 is the way to go. At home i have->

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
256mb Ram
40gb 5400rpm (slooow....bad) hard drive
4KUS DVD-ROM (16xDVD, 48xCD)
LITE-ON CD Burner (16x10x48x)
LITE-ON CD-ROM (52xMax)
Win XP Professional Edition
Adobe Premiere 6.5
GeForce 2 w'TV-out
Spirit PCI TV Tuner Card w'Capture (S-Video in, Composite in, Antennae in)

And it works very, VERY well.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:56 pm

Right now on gamefaqs I am trying to fend of some people bashing PC's for video editing that really don't know what they are talking about.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:06 pm

lol, look at what this guy said
VideoZ wrote:First off, let me start by saying you can ask any professional in the field. Every person in the field knows that Macs are professionally used in multimedia, you saying they're not proves you know nothing of the field WHATSOEVER. Macs have several hard coded features that make them ideal for video editing / creating / rendering. Add this with several user-friendly features Macs are famous for and you have a good workstation.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002 ... owdown.htm
At the end of his link it says
First off, let me start by saying you can ask any professional in the field. Every person in the field knows that Macs are professionally used in multimedia, you saying they're not proves you know nothing of the field WHATSOEVER. Macs have several hard coded features that make them ideal for video editing / creating / rendering. Add this with several user-friendly features Macs are famous for and you have a good workstation.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002 ... owdown.htm
Then I asked him what the Mac Video editors can do that the PC ones can't, and he has yet to name one feature.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:07 pm

Like I said, MACS have more built in if you buy them right out when it comes to video capacity. But that doesn't make them better or worse because you can buy similar (and just as good/better) cards for the PC.

Don't expect to win, macs are great but I don't think anyone has ever gone into a MAC/PC debate and come out with a changed mind.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:09 pm

what I wouldnt give for an edit button

HERE is what the conclusion of his link said
After seeing the results of these tests, we can only conclude that Apple's fastest G4 workstations are certainly not faster than dual 1.533GHz Athlon MP-equipped systems, at least as far as After Effects is concerned. Not one of the objective tests we conducted using After Effects showed Apple's flagship machine to be superior. In fact, in most of the tests, the Mac was left lagging far behind. And, this was when we were using a PC whose chips are now three steps below the fastest Athlons available (now the fastest Athlon XP is the 2100+ running at 1.73GHz), and far slower than benchmarks have shown the latest Intel Xeon chips to be, now shipping at 2.4 GHz. Of course, there are many valid reasons for using a Mac that go beyond raw speed. But if Mac users are under the impression that their machines can render After Effects composites faster than any Windows-based workstation, our tests do not support that conclusion.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:10 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote: Then I asked him what the Mac Video editors can do that the PC ones can't, and he has yet to name one feature.

Like I said, both and neither.

I must leave now because I am just repeating myself...

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:12 pm

I know, that it is apples and oranges, I am just trying to get him to admit that, and in doing so needed to play devils advocate and take the side of the PC.

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:52 pm

PC + Linux

:)

I believe people who work on movies do their video editing on Linux.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:51 pm

well final cut pro, which costs 100 bucks is for MAC. Is it also on PC? and my second question is, is it better than premiere?

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:56 pm

*1000 dollars not 100,
Most of these people don't do video editing, and NONE of them actually use both PC's and MAC's to do video editing.
I am still getting alot of stuff from people saying that the MAC is better, here you go look at the thread, you should be able to see which one I am rather quickly.

http://s1.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme ... 846&page=5

it started out as something else, but then I spoke up and asked exactly the MAC had that made it better than PC and then it went off from there.

Any and everyone that wants to have fun watching a flame war have fun, anyone that has anything relivent to say in the discusion is also welcome as well.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”