I need some help please....

Farmboybob
Org Profile

I need some help please....

Post by Farmboybob » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:40 pm

Hi, I have a question about some hardware I need to obtain and hope that someone here can help me out with it. I need to move my AMV from its AVI format to a VHS tape and I need to know the thing used to actually convert it. Someone please help quick!!! :!:
Why is it that we can remember the past, but not the future?

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:22 pm

my favorite way....

buy a Sigma Designs "Hollywood+" MPEG-2 output card
plug the output card into your vcr

encode your AVI file as a high bitrate MPEG-2 using one of my standard profiles...

use MCIPlayer to export your MPEG-2 file to the vcr with the H+

works like a charm
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Farmboybob
Org Profile

Post by Farmboybob » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:10 pm

Ok, thanks alot. :D
I still need other sources in case i cant get one, so i still need help please. :!:
Why is it that we can remember the past but not the future?

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:17 pm

the sigma card is less than $50 USD including shipping online

it is also remarked as the Create Labs Dxr3 (same card... creative simply put thier brand on it)
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Farmboybob
Org Profile

Post by Farmboybob » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:36 pm

thank you, that was also very helpfull. But alas, i need one more option before I can truely feel at peace, but thanks again! :D

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:50 pm

Re-encode your vid to DVD, SVCD, or VCD standards, burn a DVD or CD, plug your hardware DVD player into the VCR's input, and hit record on the VCR, and hit play on the DVD player.

You could also use your computer's videocard's TV out, (if it has one), and buy a miniplug to RCA adapter cable for the audio, and play the video fullscreen on your computer into the VCR.

Note: the first method requires you to have a DVD player, and at least a CD burner, the second requires TV out on your videocard, if that all wasn't obvious enough.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

Farmboybob
Org Profile

thanks but....

Post by Farmboybob » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:22 pm

All your options are extreamly helpful! But I kinda need a way to do it that is a little......cheaper. most of the options you gave me cost between $100-500. And that is money i dont have. :cry: Could you please help me find something a little cheaper please? Thanks!

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:25 pm

face it. a venture like this is gona cost money, unles Gandalf The White visits you and magically moves the AVI from PC to VHS. Dont you get it? Nothing is free anymore.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:10 am

Well, if you don't already have either 1) a CD burner and a regular DVD player or 2) a video card with TV out, yes, you're going to have to spend some money. If you have none of those things, I'd probably have to agree with Quu- a Hollywood Plus card would probably be the cheapest of the options from a complete lack of them. You can get one for $45 plus shipping here or search through Pricewatch to find another place if you don't want to order one from there. I got one of these for my little brother's computer to help pull some of the load off its older processor, and later to output to his TV, it works quite nice.

If you do have TV output on your video card- it's simple, look at your documentation and figure out how to enable it, hook up the output to your VCR, and play the highest quality file of it you've got back with something like ZoomPlayer. Of course, this may not be the highest quality. The other option, if you have a burner and a DVD player capable of playing them is to make a SVCD (or, if your player just won't play them, a VCD, but the quality will be rather lacking). Information on both making them and what DVD players can play them can be found at VCDHelp.

Hopefully one of these will help!
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Return to “Hardware Discussion”