What converter to you use?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
xMachxFivex
Org Profile

What converter to you use?

Post by xMachxFivex » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Hey there. After browsing the forum for quite a bit I noticed that this topic wasn't really around! (if it was, I'd be humbled if you could nicely point me in the right direction)

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of converters to you guys use? Considering that MKV is now the new AVI (well it has been for me for the past year and a half) I've been trying to find a reliable MKV to AVI converter. I use WinFF which works wonders on most things, but my AVI files come out all blotchy and gross. So! What converters to you use? Discuss pros and cons of what you use, and if it's safe to download or pay for if need be. =) Thanks

-Mach Five

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: What converter to you use?

Post by Enigma » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:50 pm

VirtualDub :up: ! Witch can be found in the AMVApp , And how to convert Mkv's

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:23 am

I haven't had a need to convert my MKV, MP4, or Matroska to AVI... :?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 am

Scintilla wrote:I haven't had a need to convert my MKV, MP4, or Matroska to AVI... :?
Saving BDs as crf10 all keyframes x264 can help saving space without really losing quality. :up:
Lossless x264 is becoming somewhat known for sending mep tracks finals and similar purposes, too.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Concerning lossless H.264, I really don't understand why that's becoming preferred over HuffYUV (ffvhuff if you need YV12), Lagarith, or FFV1. Is it capable of radically-smaller filesizes? Because the last time I tried using CRF 0 in x264 the encode time was just abysmal, and it would be far less of an issue to just use Huffy or Lagarith.
Scintilla wrote:I haven't had a need to convert my MKV, MP4, or Matroska to AVI... :?
Matroska and MKV are the same thing. 'Matroska' is the standard's name, 'MKV' is simply the shorthand (because it was and is the default extension used for them, although .mka and .mks are also in the standard for audio-only and subtitle files...I've never seen an .mks, but .mka is somewhat useful for cuesheet-based single-file albums and mkvmerge now defaults to that extension when given only audio streams to mux).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Qyot27 wrote:
Matroska and MKV are the same thing.
I've been wondering how long it would take for somebody to finally call me on this one. :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:14 pm

Scintilla wrote:I've been wondering how long it would take for somebody to finally call me on this one. :lol: :lol:
Those first two were far enough back that I don't remember them. On the third I just didn't feel like saying anything about it (although I did contemplate it, seeing as I even quoted that part of the post).

As to the query posited by the OP, AviSynth, and depending on the task from there, VirtualDub (Mod or plain), x264, HCenc, mencoder, xvid_encraw, ffmpeg, ffmpeg2theora, wavi, aften, lame, oggenc, etc. All of those being command-line only except for when I use VDub.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 am

Technically matroska is a bit larger term since it also includes mka and mks, so i didn't point out. :uhoh: (I make use of mka, so yeah...)
As for lossless x264... more than lossless crf 0 or qp 0, just a crf 10 all keyframe. It technically is not a lossless encode, but the difference is really unnoticeable quality wise, but comes of with a 1/5 filesize than yv12 lagarith.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”