Compressing advice..

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
KingOmegaX
Org Profile

Compressing advice..

Post by KingOmegaX » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Okay well I have been wanting to do an amv with my Gundam 0080 DVDs. I wanted to make the episodes Lossless Huffy's, But the problem is that each disc is 30gb. I don't have the HD space to do it. So I was wondering if anyone had any kind of format I could possibly compress my episodes in which still has Very Good quality and is space efficient. :cry: Any suggestions are welcome.

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Re: Compressing advice..

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Instead of converting whole episodes, make lossless clips with VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

KingOmegaX
Org Profile

Post by KingOmegaX » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:38 pm

I never thought of that. Thanks a lot Head Hunter 8-)

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:02 pm

There is also the option of editing directly with the .avs files linking to the .d2v's, without exporting them as anything.

There's a plug-in for premiere for importing .avs scripts (comes with amvapp) and this method does its work wonderfully for me, I'm sure there's something equivalent for Vegas too.

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 am

Cast to Stone wrote:There is also the option of editing directly with the .avs files linking to the .d2v's, without exporting them as anything.

There's a plug-in for premiere for importing .avs scripts (comes with amvapp) and this method does its work wonderfully for me, I'm sure there's something equivalent for Vegas too.
This is only good if you have a fast enough PC to play it smoothly, or you may want to do the B+S method, using somehting like picvideo's MJPEG codec to edit to (which is free download with a watermark, but I bought mine since its so usefull for this purpose) , and switch them out with the avs files when exporting. pm me if need more detailed explanation on how to do this.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Bakadeshi wrote:This is only good if you have a fast enough PC to play it smoothly, or you may want to do the B+S method, using somehting like picvideo's MJPEG codec to edit to (which is free download with a watermark, but I bought mine since its so usefull for this purpose) ...
Hint: Midivid's MJPEG codec works just as well and doesn't have the watermark or, worse, a message box popping up BEFORE EVERY SINGLE FRAME PREVIEWED asking if you're okay with the watermark. (I forget why/when my version of the PICVideo MJPEG started doing this, but it was annoying as hell.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm

For that matter, ffdshow has a perfectly acceptable MJPEG encoder in its VFW interface. And that's completely free, in both senses of the word.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:04 am

Qyot27 wrote:For that matter, ffdshow has a perfectly acceptable MJPEG encoder in its VFW interface. And that's completely free, in both senses of the word.
I know of the ffdshow version, but picvideo's seems to be faster on my machine, which is better for editing. However if can't get anything else, worth a shot.

I have not tried midivid's version. But yea I had forgotten they changed it to pop up that annoying message box since i Had payed for it, Completely makes it useless for editing, since it will pop up on each "render" section premeire tries to do when prerendering. However you can still get the old version 2 that doesn;t do this, google it if you want it. I'd suggest trying midivids though if it has no watermark and works as well as scintilla says. ;p

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:08 am

Bakadeshi wrote:
Qyot27 wrote:For that matter, ffdshow has a perfectly acceptable MJPEG encoder in its VFW interface. And that's completely free, in both senses of the word.
I know of the ffdshow version, but picvideo's seems to be faster on my machine, which is better for editing. However if can't get anything else, worth a shot.
Well, I don't edit with the MJPEGs (which I additionally also render at 432x240 or 320x240), I just use them to quickly scan through the episodes looking for clips - and at that resolution, VDubMod just flies through them (Alt+arrows for the win). I jot down the frame numbers in Notepad and then go back through with the High-quality scripts to save the clips with HuffYUV, using the Ctrl+G shortcut so I can jump right to the correct frame.

ffdshow also does have a multithreaded version that might be of use in this too - it's not the standard version, though.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 am

If you don't use clips and your an bastard with a short attention span like me and you don't use effects (cause this method can screw those up) You could try the bait and swap method and since I'm too lazy to explain it... read this

To save space I use xvid instead of lagarith cause my hdd is tiny.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”