Are .MP4s created with ZarxX264Gui Okay to Edit With?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
guardiansoulblade
Org Profile

Are .MP4s created with ZarxX264Gui Okay to Edit With?

Post by guardiansoulblade » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 pm

I was just wondering, because I was thinking about redoing all my AMV footage as .MP4s with that so I could have footage that wouldn't take up so much space on my external hard drive.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Are .MP4s created with ZarxX264Gui Okay to Edit With?

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:12 pm

If you check the option to encode them with keyframes only, then sure. Otherwise uh... lossy editing is a big no. It'd be just as editing with divx or xvid directly, 'cept maybe the quality would be better.

guardiansoulblade
Org Profile

Post by guardiansoulblade » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:20 pm

What I was thinking of doing was encoding the .MP4 and then taking the clip I want and saving it as Huffyuv. Would that still work? I mainly want to do it because I currently take clips from the DivX I want and re-encode it with Huffyuv, but I want the episodes to be a smaller file size when I put them on my external hard drive. FMA takes up 29 GB for the entire series and the movie, and that's just the DivX files!

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Well, if you use huffyuv for editing I guess it's fine. However, keep in mind that since your original source is in DivX, your quality is already harmed, and will still be harmed by the x264 encode. No matter how good it looks, a lossy codec is still lossy and won't be perfect. Unless, of course, you use insane bitrate parameters, but that defeats the small filesize purpose. :P

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Encoding to x264 before huffyuv is pointless. It will hurt quality and not make the huffyuv any smaller.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”