Virtual Dub Encoding Issue? (Video Plays Back VERY Slowly)

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Virtual Dub Encoding Issue? (Video Plays Back VERY Slowly)

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:31 pm

I'm currently having an issue with encoding my clips with VirtualDub. I tried the Huffyuv and Lagarith Lossless Codecs. When the videos are done converting, they play back very slowly. Is there a way to fix this?

The original file is labeled "120fps," so i'm assuming that's its original framerate for the file.
. : AnimeSpiritZ : .

*and sand blows deadly across from silence..*

DaikashiSan
Org Profile

Re: Virtual Dub Encoding Issue? (Video Plays Back VERY Slowly)

Post by DaikashiSan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Do these playback issues only occur when you try opening up your output file? Huffyuv and Lagarith are usually meant for editing and not really viewing. You may might want to try seeing if you could load up your Huffyuv/Lagarith files on VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) and if that doesn't work, you may be able to view your files as they are supposed to be viewed from your application for editing.

Hopefully any of those suggestions work for you. Also, 120 fps is a bit weird for what I'm assuming is anime source? Anyway, try seeing if any of that works for you, if not, let me know.

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:32 pm

When I tried opening the output file, an Errors message box popped up saying:

"No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "LAGS". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Additional Information: When I tried to playback this video using Virtualdub, it lags there as well. But it doesnt lag when I load other videos in Virtualdub. Is it still possible to fix this? Or will I have to reconvert the video itself? If so, is there a free converter that allows the use of the lossless codecs and cutting time frames as well?

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Update: Ok, so i've reinstalled the Lagarith Lossless codec using the .exe this time instead. And it seems like the only way to get it to work was to set the "Convert to fps" to 29.97, which would be the fps I need for my final product. But when I play the video back, it lags on Windows Media Player, but plays better on Media Player Classic. Could this be an issue with my computer? I also tested these things on my laptop, and strangely enough, it plays very well on my laptop, but only when I set the "Convert to fps" to 29.97 there as well. I had no problems playing back the output video using Windows Media Player there. If there's any suggestions anyone would like to make to help improve my situation, or something you'd like to say, please do so. Anything would help as long as it makes things better.

I also have another question as well. Since i'm changing the fps from its original 119.880 fps to 29.97 fps, does that mean i'll be losing quality as well? If so, how much is it noticible to audiences? (Although I havent tried a higher output framerate yet). I did read somewhere before though, that if I made my framerates higher than what i'm working with in Adobe Premiere, something wont go well.

DaikashiSan
Org Profile

Post by DaikashiSan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Going from such a high FPS to a low one will not hurt your footage, or it shouldn't. All you are basically doing is eliminating all the spare frames that were added in such a massive upconversion. To be honest, if you downloaded your footage, you might want to reconsider finding the same source encoded at its native FPS or just ripping the DVD of whatever your footage is and finding the proper framerate via the whole telecine/decimate process.

However, for what you currently have, you might want to do that conversion from 119.80 fps to 29.970. It'll make rendering your footage and working with clips a tad easier for you since there won't be as many repeated frames.

Also, Premier normally doesn't have much of a problem working with higher framerates but it isn't recommended. If you have to use a higher or lower framerate than what you have set for yourself within Premier's project settings, you usually want to turn off frame blending within each clip you set down because Premier will forcibly try to blend frames to match the FPS you are using (it will give you those ghost-like frames which you usually want to stray away from.).

AnimeSpiritZ
Org Profile

Post by AnimeSpiritZ » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 am

ok thanks so much for all your help. but unfortunately, it doesnt seem to play back properly when I view the exported clips in premiere. It skips parts of the video without any smooth playback, like a picture book. So i'm just wondering now if there's another type of conversion or converter you would recommend in my current situation? And i'm just curious what the "Editing Mode" does as well. It looks like I should choose DV/NTSC.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:19 am

120fps is generally variable frame rate, actually. You'll have to use tcConv to get the AR conversion right. Refer to this, scroll down to the "Dealing with 120fps AVI files" part.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:20 am

mirkosp wrote:120fps is generally variable frame rate, actually. You'll have to use tcConv to get the FPS conversion right. Refer to this, scroll down to the "Dealing with 120fps AVI files" part.
Damn, I didn't notice that i wrote AR instead of FPS when previewing... >_>" Fix'd.

DaikashiSan
Org Profile

Post by DaikashiSan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:36 am

mirkosp wrote:120fps is generally variable frame rate, actually. You'll have to use tcConv to get the AR conversion right. Refer to this, scroll down to the "Dealing with 120fps AVI files" part.
Might have to read into that myself. :o

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”