Color loss when encoding to MPEG-2

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
TheTsunami
Org Profile

Color loss when encoding to MPEG-2

Post by TheTsunami » Sun May 31, 2009 11:37 am

Video editing newbie, trying to figure out a way to prevent the colors in my video from being dulled when converting to MPEG-2. I have tried a few things so far, such as removing various cleaners from my script (and the Convert to YV12 that they require), changing the rate control mode in TMPGEnc from Constant Quality (8,000 cap) to Constant Bitrate (spikes a little over 12,000) without success, as well as checking the simple color correction option on TMPGEnc. The video pre-conversion is:

AVI
880 x 496
Image size: 880 x 496
Pixel Depth: 32
Frame Rate: 29.97

The bare bones script is:

UnalignedSplice (AviSource("FINAL A.avi"),AviSource("FINAL B2.avi"))

LanczosResize(720,352)
AddBorders(0,64,0,64)

SSRC(48000)

Before:

After:

s0matic
Org Profile

Re: Color loss when encoding to MPEG-2

Post by s0matic » Sun May 31, 2009 11:47 am

TsunamiX wrote:Video editing newbie, trying to figure out a way to prevent the colors in my video from being dulled when converting to MPEG-2. I have tried a few things so far, such as removing various cleaners from my script (and the Convert to YV12 that they require)
That may be the problem, well not the removing the conversion, but rather, your footage has to be converted to YV12 anyway for MPEG-2. So even if you don't have ConvertToYV12() in your script I'm assuming TMpegEnc is doing the conversion anyway, and this is probably is causing the color dulling.

Ideal situation would be ripping your DVD's (YV12) -> Encoded file from editor (RGB) -> distro codec (YV12). So 2 colorspace conversions at minimum is unavoidable.

Try using ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709") in your script, or use another MPEG-2 encoder such as CCE and see if you have better results.

TheTsunami
Org Profile

Re: Color loss when encoding to MPEG-2

Post by TheTsunami » Sun May 31, 2009 3:05 pm

Managed to work it out with a few hours of tinkering (kind of how I've learned the entire process along the way, haha). Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”