Compressing Issues

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Hephaestus
Org Profile

Compressing Issues

Post by Hephaestus » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:57 pm

OK, so I've been having issues when I compress my AMV in Virtual Dub. The files still seem to be too big. I've followed the directions on the AMV Tech Guide for compression w/ XviD. Is there something I need to do further to keep my AMV's to a decent size. Most of mine have been in the 80+ megs. I'd like to keep quality and I have seen some AMVs here that retain their good quality and stay a manageable size.
"I need to be unhappy to smile, but I haven't quite got the hang of it." - Poison the Well

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Compressing Issues

Post by Scintilla » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:14 pm

Hephaestus wrote:OK, so I've been having issues when I compress my AMV in Virtual Dub. The files still seem to be too big. I've followed the directions on the AMV Tech Guide for compression w/ XviD. Is there something I need to do further to keep my AMV's to a decent size. Most of mine have been in the 80+ megs. I'd like to keep quality and I have seen some AMVs here that retain their good quality and stay a manageable size.
First off: how long are they, and what resolution are you compressing them at?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Hephaestus
Org Profile

Post by Hephaestus » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:20 pm

well, the latest one i did was 4:00 minutes long and the frame size is 720x480, frame rate 29.97fps, quality 100%. I don't see the field for resolution.
"I need to be unhappy to smile, but I haven't quite got the hang of it." - Poison the Well

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:56 pm

Resolution = frame size.

720x480 + 29.97fps + 100% quality setting = big file.

For online distro, 480x352 or 512x384 is perfectly fine; a lot of people go as low as 352x240.

You probably want to IVTC or deinterlace your video to get it down to 23.976; fewer frames per second --> fewer frames total --> less space needed for the same quality = good thing. However, I always edit at 24, so I don't know much about the various deinterlacing methods; I suggest you read what the guides have to say about it.

The preferred bitrate method for XviD compression around here seems to be not constant quality, but 2-pass; the good thing about it is that the video is analyzed in the first pass for better compression in the second, and that you can specify how big of a file you want. I know this is covered in the guides as well.
ImageImage

Hephaestus
Org Profile

Post by Hephaestus » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:16 am

Thanks for your help, I'll remember that and do that for the next one.
Appreciate your help.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:25 pm

a freind of mine encodes with Xvid for video and ogg for the audio. he sais it kicks divx's ass. allthough i havent used Xvid alot, i agree with him

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:58 pm

bum wrote:a freind of mine encodes with Xvid for video and ogg for the audio. he sais it kicks divx's ass. allthough i havent used Xvid alot, i agree with him
The problem is that .AVI doesn't support Ogg Vorbis audio, though it would be really nice if it did.

If you know that most of your audience will have the Ogg DirectShow filters necessary to play back an .OGM file, then that's fine. But many don't have them and won't want to have to download additional stuff to play your video.
ImageImage

Hephaestus
Org Profile

Post by Hephaestus » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:42 pm

OK, so now I have the video and I'm getting ready to export it from Adobe Premiere. The footage was captured at 720x480 and i'm exporting to 480x352. After deinterlacing and cleaning it up, I still get horizontal lines of distortion after it is compressed w/ VDub. Am I still doing something wrong or should the export resolution stay the same as the capture?

Hephaestus
Org Profile

Post by Hephaestus » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:48 pm

Nevermind about my last reply. I found what I am doing wrong.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”