Question about compressing ripped video

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Platinum_Anime_Production
Org Profile

Question about compressing ripped video

Post by Platinum_Anime_Production » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:10 am

Hi, tomorrow my computer is going to the service to get a DVD drive installed, I have read all of the guides for ripping DVD's and have prepared my comp. for all of the operations. (plus I have 5 anime series on DVD to use!)

But everywhere I read that people can only get like a minimum of 5gb an episode, problem is i am running FAT32 and can have only 4gb files maximum. But I have seen perfect quality DVD ripped footage of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' (whole movie) at 650mb, at perfect quality with the audio added (file size still 650mb) and I have only a 20gb hard drive with 11gb left... Can anyone help me to compress my AVS files (or DVD vobs) into small, high quality files like I've seen?

This will be so greatly appreciated!!

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:45 am

Most of the software available to remove VOBs from DVDs allow you to set a maximum file size. Mine only creates 1 gb VOB files, for example.
Then I just followed the guides....

One way I recommend saving space (if it's at a premium) is to rip, say, one episode at a time, use Virtualdub to open your .avs script (if you read the guides, you'll know all about .avs files) and cut useable clips from the episodes, saving each one as a huffyuv-encoded AVI file. Then, delete the VOB files. Now, this is annoying when you remember that one scene that was in the VOB that you just send to the Recycle Bin and said "Yes, delete the file permanently...." but it can save quite a bit of disk space, without severly degrading final output quality.
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Question about compressing ripped video

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:55 am

Platinum_Anime_Production wrote:But everywhere I read that people can only get like a minimum of 5gb an episode, problem is i am running FAT32 and can have only 4gb files maximum. But I have seen perfect quality DVD ripped footage of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' (whole movie) at 650mb, at perfect quality with the audio added (file size still 650mb) and I have only a 20gb hard drive with 11gb left... Can anyone help me to compress my AVS files (or DVD vobs) into small, high quality files like I've seen?
Do what Sousaphonist said, but realize that your files will not be compressed nearly as much as the Holy Grail copy you have. That movie is <i>not</i> "perfect quality"; if it's the same one I've seen, it was encoded with DivX. And when you're ripping DVDs for the purpose of video editing, you do <i>not</i> want to make your clips with DivX/XviD.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:15 am

of ya want, get a copy of #1 dvd ripper. that just ripps the vob's straight from the dvd to avi on your hdd. its simple one step lazyness, and it works a treat

Platinum_Anime_Production
Org Profile

thx for advice

Post by Platinum_Anime_Production » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:03 pm

Hey thanks for the advice, i'll try both of those ideas, tonight and then start making my videos again. thx again!

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:40 pm

bum wrote:of ya want, get a copy of #1 dvd ripper. that just ripps the vob's straight from the dvd to avi on your hdd. its simple one step lazyness, and it works a treat
The problem with that is Premiere (and alot of other programs) behaving very badly with AVI files. All I do is find out what chapter numbers correspond to which section of the DVD (on a dvd where every episode isnt split into seperate titles, like the first 2 or 3 DVDs of Evangelion), do some math and figure out which parts are the episodes and which parts are the opening/closing sequences. Removeing the superfluous material, I get files ranging from 700 - 900 mb, that are only episode footage. Granted, I have a 120gb hard drive, so I can spare the space.

vyper28
Org Profile

Post by vyper28 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:16 pm

i also have a 120gig HD purely for anime. but i noticed that smartripper, at least, has the option to set maximum VOB sizes. I believe after that limit is hit, it splits the file and begins another .VOB, mine is cureently set to 100gigs........ so i dont know from experience.
"Windows Error 1WE3234: No keyboard detected, press F12 to continue"
"Wo ai ni ijirashi suppokasa"

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:56 pm

you see, the real problem with premier is that thier are alot of other programs that are beter in every single aspect, yet people ignore them because permier is the most popular out thier. seriosly, try using vegas, after a bit of time mucking with it, you'll wonderhow you ever managed to put up with premier

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:17 pm

Dude.

I can do practically anything I want with Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop.

Also, I've got a 160 + 120 GB dedicated to AMVs and editing AMVs. Pretty soon getting another 160GB (My 40GB HD blew out)

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:10 pm

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:Dude.

I can do practically anything I want with Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop.

Also, I've got a 160 + 120 GB dedicated to AMVs and editing AMVs. Pretty soon getting another 160GB (My 40GB HD blew out)
Yuo hard drive wh0re yuo!! :P

My 40gb is still running at a good old 5400rpm... totally escapes me how I actually managed to make those first 3 music videos on what was -[until recently]- a complete shitbox.

I have to learn how to use AfterEffects... Photoshop and premiere are easy if you sit down and poke around a bit... but AfterEffects... oh well.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”