Is there an easier way to compress and encode vids?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Grey Mountain
Org Profile

Is there an easier way to compress and encode vids?

Post by Grey Mountain » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:01 pm

:shock: I'm so confused with the whole do-this- or- do- that- but- this- is- better- so- do- this- but- then- that- is- the- way- and- then- to- do- this- that- and so on :x you know what i mean! :roll: the "A&E's Technical Guides to All Things Audio and Video" guide. it's sooooo tedious just trying to follow! is there anyother guide that will make it straight foward and easier? :? personally, it would be great if someone could just breifly outline what i should do, and then i'll look it up on the guide itself! what the heck do i have to download? it's really getting to me that there are sooo many recomendations but yet i have no idea how to use them!
sorry minna-san :cry: (everyone) but i'm a beginner !
GREY MOUNTAIN***

Arctyc
Org Profile

Post by Arctyc » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:16 pm

Get AMVapp from the A&E guide page.

Other than an editing program like Premiere, FCP, WMM, etc., it's just about the only thing you'll need. (I can't remember, is the ripper proggie not included in that package?)

A&E's guide is really good. The sections you want in-order for basic instructions are:

The Getting Video Section

The Getting Audio Section

The Pre-Editing Preparation Section

Edit Here (There are sections in the guide for this as well.)

The Pre-Compression Preparation Section

The Compression Section

That'll run you through the whole process. Yes, the options can be confusing, but once you gain some experience with them, you realize that they come in handy sometimes when you want an alternate option. Especially because what you need to do depends quite a bit on which software you're using in the process.

If you can let us know what you're running with, maybe we can simplify things a bit.

Grey Mountain
Org Profile

Post by Grey Mountain » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:14 pm

Whoa! thanx a lot Arctyc! that's a lot of help! verrry nice. :wink:
ummm what i am working with is adobe premier 6.5. i exported my movie already...but is it possible to export my project in some other program (that i can download) :?:
right now...since i've been waiting a while to purchase enough memory to export the movie, i think i'll just use adobe. (although not recommended)
i'm just about to start that post production page you gave me and i'm going to see what i'm doing right or wrong. :oops:
....ok it's been like an hour...i've downloaded the amvapp package but for some reason it won't let me install one of the lame files but who cares...ermmmm i'm gonna export the movie without audio..uh huh...and ..but... can i continue to export it first with out the whole setting up the compressor thing or do i have to set everything up before i do?
awww gosh! help
GREY MOUNTAIN***

Arctyc
Org Profile

Post by Arctyc » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:17 pm

Okay.

So you have your clip library built already?

Until you have that, you want to do all of your work in VirtualDub. Heckuva lot better than Premiere for that sort of work.

There's a terminology issue between 'Saving' and 'Exporting'. Adobe keeps information for ongoing projects in a Project File, which isn't terribly large. When you update that Project File, that's called Saving.

When you take the movie that you've been building and send it out into a .mpeg or .avi file, that's called Exporting. There are two places you will be doing this; when building your clip library (No audio, preferably HuffYUV video compression), and your final product (manipulated audio if any+song, many possible video compressions, MPEG, DivX, or XviD most likely).

So, you get your VOBs to your hard drive. [ ]
You create one of those little AVIsynth files so you can open your VOBs in VirtualDub. [ ]
(There's the possibility to de-interlace at this point, but depending on what you're doing and the fact that you're using Premiere, I'm not quite qualified to suggest whether to do it or not.)
You open VirtualDub and start clipping scenes with No Audio and HuffYUV compression. [ ]
(Using the Video menu Compression option and Fast Recompress, the Audio menu 'No Audio' option, the Mark In & Mark Out buttons, then the 'Save as AVI' file menu option.)

From here, you'll have a bunch of Audioless AVIs cluttering up your HD somewhere. Now you can open up Premiere, go to the import menu, import your song, and drag it to the timeline. Now you start importing those clipped AVIs and building your movie.
(This is assuming you didn't want to do something more complex with the audio. If this is not the case, I'm sure there's a guide for it somewhere. ;) )

Hoo. Man, this seemed simpler when I was actually doing it.

Grey Mountain
Org Profile

Post by Grey Mountain » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:39 pm

Hokay Hokay.... so i'd have to put ...no wait... ok i've already made my movie (which i am sorry to say is not a amv but a small retarded anime documentary made for media class :oops: ) so it's one heck of a file. i'm done editing..but now i'm supposed to make an .avs file? :shock: ...yeah i've done that..but can you give me an example of how i would...or rather what i would type in it to make it load into virtual dubb? i've sorta...ok...sorry!! but do you have a copy of what your .avs script/file looks like? -and possibly paste it on here?
thanx for all that help! greatly appreciated ^_^

p.s. would it possibly be easier if you had msn? meh! you don' t have to reply to that if you don't want to ^^;
GREY MOUNTAIN***

Grey Mountain
Org Profile

Post by Grey Mountain » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:42 pm

It's just so complicated. know what i'm saying? it MUST be easier when your actually doing it!

why...WHY must i be computer-illiterate? :cry:
GREY MOUNTAIN***

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:23 pm

I don't find it difficult, but rather tedious.
But the more you do it. The easier it gets.
Keep at it.

EC AKA Mr. Winky :wink:

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:33 pm

yeah... I feal the same, I usually just use an ifo ripper like clad dvd than flask it to huffyuv but I've thought I'd try with this AVS shite... it's only been 2 weeks of expiramenting and I'm on page 2 -_-.

Grey Mountain
Org Profile

Post by Grey Mountain » Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:59 pm

HELP! MEEE
ok ok soo i've finally started looking at the video and framing and blah blah blah settings.
in the guide it says

Keyframe and Rendering:

Optimise Stills
Fields - this, again should be EXACTLY the same as your source which you should have worked out when you started the project. Progressive (non-interlaced) footage should be set to "No fields".

soooo do i check the box that says to optimise stills? and fields option, it says originally "lower fields first" should i scroll it to no fields then?
GREY MOUNTAIN***

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:14 pm

*puts finger on screen* yeah there! I'm right there, though Akira is Progressive so I put 'no fields' though the guide says not to... idunno I also did both but... neither of them work so *throws hands up* it doesn't matter! gah... and I'm not getting much help either, I'll just go through the order of progression that Alaska said tomorrow I'm out for today, I'll help ya if I figure it out ;-p

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”