Zarx264gui causing my computer to crash?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
EnQuatre
Org Profile

Zarx264gui causing my computer to crash?

Post by EnQuatre » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been encountering an odd issue with Zarx264gui 3.0 recently... When I try to encode a video file, my computer suddenly shuts off when the video reaches around the 17-20% mark. This happens seemingly for a range of settings.

I've been tracking my CPU usage and it's certainly high when Zarx264gui is running, but that shouldn't be enough to cause my computer to shut down on its own, right? I've never had any problems running Zarx264gui before, so I'd be surprised if it's causing my CPU temperature to rise to dangerous levels... Have any of you ever had this problem? Thanks!

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Re: Zarx264gui causing my computer to crash?

Post by GloryQuestor » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:09 pm

If you look in your Task Manager, you'll see that the issue lies with ffmpeg, which tries to encode videos utilizing as much of the CPUs as possible. This, of course, spikes the computer's heat level as it's running your CPU cores to their utmost capacity. If you do have a detector active for CPU temperature monitoring, it is possible that your computer is detecting a CPU temperature spike or CPU overload that's causing either Windows or your computer's own BIOS system to shut down the computer.

You might want to double-check your computer's fans and heat sink vents, make sure that they are operating and not overly dusty. Also clean out your entire computer of dust if you can. You might need to invest in a more powerful fan or a case with better heat sink venting, to cool down your computer faster. You can also adjust the temperature sensor and increase the shutdown settings, although I don't recommend this.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Post by EnQuatre » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

Hm... is there anything I can do with various settings to reduce its CPU usage? I don't mind waiting longer for it to encode, and I'll give the case a good cleaning too to see if that helps?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:26 am

Hi, sorry for the very late reply, not sure if you still need help or not.

Your computer should NOT crash when encoding, as that is indicated of much larger problems. The reason that you may only see the issue when encoding, is that it can tend to spike your cpu to near 100% usage and keep it there for a long period of time, increasing the heat output.

In a normal system, your cpu should be able to run at 100% constantly without overheating. This would indicate that there is likely a cooling issue in your pc as Gloryquester stated.

If you don't address the actual cooling issue, then the only other thing I could recommend is either underclocking your cpu, or reducing its maximum output via windows Power Options and see if that helps: http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-advan ... xplained/3

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”