AMV basics, what codec and format?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
lnich13
Org Profile

AMV basics, what codec and format?

Post by lnich13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 pm

So a simple question, what codec or format should i use for SonyVegas?
I was origionaly using MKV files (Took the subtitles out using mkvtoolnix), but sonyvegas doesnt like them.
So i converted them (using anyvideoconverter) into AVI files, but SonyVegas still doesnt like them.

I heard i could download the Divx codec to fix this, but should i?
I read online that Xvid is a "bad" codec, and i should use lagarith or huffyuv..

So i was just wondering, does it make that much diffrence in the end?..

Could anyone please tell me how to get from my [BD 720p AAC] mkv files, to a file i can edit with, and still obtain a high definition result? (the highest definition you should use for youtube i guess. )

Sorry for the very sloppy question,

lnich13
Org Profile

Re: AMV basics, what codec and format?

Post by lnich13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 am

Bump, can anyone help? (:

NotReallyHere
The Macho Man
Org Profile

Post by NotReallyHere » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:54 am

Superlazy copy-paste from another forum where someone else asked a similar question. :)
Imp wrote:

Hi there!

first of all, I doubt there's a "best" method, second thing: there's no easy method.
What I usually do is not getting .mkv files.
but that's not the case here, so let's get working!
what I got and do is the following:
1) I have the following programs:
AviSynth 2.5
AvsPmod
VirtualDub
2) use the AvsPmod to make a script for the MKV, this will be the biggest problem because of MKV being MKV
DirectShowSource("C:\filepath.mkv") or ffvideosource("C:\filepath.mkv") should work,
unless it's not supported, then you need to load a plugin first and that's just hell getting the right plugin
to load a plugin use LoadPlugin("C:\filepath.dll") before the source line
3) save the script.
4) load the script with VirtualDub
5) use the "Save as AVI..." option under the File menu.
6) if the output video isn't good, play around with the options under the Video menu.
for my editing programs I use the compression Intel IYUV-codec 'i420', and the 'Fast recompress' option

let me be clear, I almost never get what I want out of it.
I clean the footage with my editing programs so no one ever notices...

I hope this helps, but try to avoid MKVs from now on ^^;
The best of luck with editing!

imp
I pretty much agree with Imp here, except my first and second step are different.

1) I also have MeGui
2) We'll now have MeGui create the script for us.
Open MeGui and load the video into it. (Use the One-Click-Encoder, no need for complicated stuff)
Now run it and wait for it to finish the setup stuff and let it work a bit on re-encoding.
You can break this off after a while (a minute should be plenty)
MeGui will now have created an AviSynth script.
This script will usually contain stuff like deinterlacing, which is pretty unnecessary if you have HD footage, or progressive footage in general so go ahead and remove it. (Will also speed things up a bit later)

After that I do the same thing Imp does. (I use the UT-video codec tho, since it's apparently better for HD footage)
Also, all the programs we have been discussing can be found in the amv-app: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... mvapp.html (for some reason the link failed here, but its in the "guide to all things audio and video" )

lnich13
Org Profile

Post by lnich13 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:18 am

Thanks loads, looking forward to editing again (:

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 am

I have never seen so much bad advice in a single post before, wow. Please read the guide, it covers the important stuff and is easier than someone reblogging the whole thing here. Pretty much every thread here should have a link to it so ima be lazy. If you have any specific questions, that's when you should ask for help.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Normally I wouldn't bump an old thread like this as the original poster won't bother to look at it again, but I really don't want some innocent person to look at this thread and listen to the horrible advice given...the lossless AVI encoding is good stuff, but DO NOT re-encode the footage via MeGUI to a h264 MP4 to edit with...
lnich13 wrote:So a simple question, what codec or format should i use for SonyVegas?
I was origionaly using MKV files (Took the subtitles out using mkvtoolnix), but sonyvegas doesnt like them.
So i converted them (using anyvideoconverter) into AVI files, but SonyVegas still doesnt like them.
I would first recommend that you convert the videos to lossless AVIs to work with, but you can technically recontainer the footage to work with as well. It really depends on your version of Vegas as the newer ones can accept h264 MP4 files, which would allow you to simply recontainer the footage and it would work in Vegas. If your version does NOT support h264, then you will need to convert the footage to AVI using a lossless codec.
lnich13 wrote:I heard i could download the Divx codec to fix this, but should i?
I read online that Xvid is a "bad" codec, and i should use lagarith or huffyuv..

So i was just wondering, does it make that much diffrence in the end?..
DivX and XviD are lossy codecs, they are both old, outdated, and destroy the detail. Lagarith is a good lossless codec to use, but huffyuv rather outdated. Another good option for lossless encoding is Ut Codec.
lnich13 wrote:Could anyone please tell me how to get from my [BD 720p AAC] mkv files, to a file i can edit with, and still obtain a high definition result? (the highest definition you should use for youtube i guess. )

Sorry for the very sloppy question,
Again, I recommended that you convert to lossless AVIs to work with, but if you would like to try working directly from the existing h264 footage then here is a guide on recontainering.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”