Long time to compress video

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
K1w1kat
Org Profile

Long time to compress video

Post by K1w1kat » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi. I was wondering how long Zarx should take to compress a file if you follow the defaults. I'm kinda confused by the guide for starters. It looks like it's for an older version. But from what it looks like keeping the "very slow" Preset will actually compress faster? I watched a video on youtube showing the process of going from UTVideo to MP4 with an AMV using Zarx and the user said "this should take 15-20 minutes depending on the speed of your computer" but for me it take 2-3 hrs. I'm not sure if he only used a part of his AMV or not..So I'm just trying to figure out if my computer is that bad or there's an option I can tweek. Thanks!

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Long time to compress video

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 pm

A) Resolution differences
B) Your computer is ancient
C) Are you really encoding something that's typically 3 or 4 minutes long, or an entire 24m episode/2h movie?

Take your pick. The rule of thumb is not to trust any figure someone pops out unless they also give the parameters (video length, video resolution, hardware specs) they were targeting as well. All those things are variable, but in no way will veryslow be faster than the other presets (except placebo, which is the only one slower than veryslow).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”