Which converter would you recommend?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
NellyEdits
Org Profile

Which converter would you recommend?

Post by NellyEdits » Mon May 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Currently, I've been using Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6.
I've been having some errors lately, where my footage will freeze and stop at 80%.
I've never had problems before, And I was quite pleased with Xilisoft.
Any recommendations for a better converter? Or another version of Xilisoft?
Thank you in advance, your answers are much appreciated.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Re: Which converter would you recommend?

Post by Cannonaire » Mon May 21, 2012 4:59 pm

It depends on what you are trying to convert as well as the quality you want from the final encode. Most people around here tend to take a few extra steps to ensure quality and reliability. There are simple utilities out there that will do all of the transcoding steps automatically, but honestly I prefer not to use them and I do not know of any good recommendations.

This is how I do it:
1a. For lossy sources (generally mkv, mp4, mpg, often avi), use avisynth and ffms2 to make a script which reads the source.
1b. For DVD or Blu-ray, it takes a lot more in-depth information than I am willing to type right now. Feel free to ask and we can help you out though if this is the case.
2. Open the script with Virtualdub and then render it as a lossless avi. You can use uncompressed avi or a variety of lossless codecs, but I recommend Lagarith or UTVideo (for UTVideo, click on the link near the top that says 'x86').
3. At this point, you can encode to the final format of your choice. For online distribution, Zarx264gui is easy and will make a nice mp4, or even mkv now I think. For a specialized device, like a PSP or iPhone, I use Handbrake.

Let me know if you need me to elaborate on any step. I realize that this seems complicated, but it will result in very good quality. Perhaps someone else has another method?
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:50 am

DVDfab, Avisynth(not really converter but works well together with VirtualDub) and finally VirtualDub

hbaws
Org Profile

Post by hbaws » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:02 am

Eake4 wrote:DVDfab, Avisynth(not really converter but works well together with VirtualDub) and finally VirtualDub
I'm here for almost the same question. I've tried using MKVToolNix and Mp4Box to convert mkv to mp4's but the output .mp4 videos are not compatible with my Vegas. Wonder if you may link me a guide or something on how to use DVDfab, Avisynth and VirtualDub?
Sorry I'm new. :S

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:05 pm

It's somewhere in this: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/
That is the guide most editors here read. It has some old/inaccurate info, but it will help a lot. I do not have time to go into specifics right now.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:39 am

It's a real shame the Zhentarim guide went down, that thing was old but super handy. If anyone has a copy on hand somehow, please PM me! I may try to re-create it in the future, and I think I have a stack of ripping video tutorials I made back in 2009 :S

JEEB
Org Profile

Post by JEEB » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:04 am

Mister Hatt wrote:It's a real shame the Zhentarim guide went down, that thing was old but super handy. If anyone has a copy on hand somehow, please PM me! I may try to re-create it in the future, and I think I have a stack of ripping video tutorials I made back in 2009 :S
It seems like a Zhentarim dump I got earlier from a fellow Darkholder might contain that one, at least it contains what is seemingly the contents of 'guide.zhentarim.net'.

Might extract it and re-host it if it is deemed to be what it is and still useful.
I'm human - No debug

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”