Encoding MPEG-2 to X264

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Anno-san
Org Profile

Encoding MPEG-2 to X264

Post by Anno-san » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 am

I am trying to encode a Berserk video that I ripped from DVD. My main problem is that I am trying to deblock and sharpen the video but I keep getting errors when I open the avs script. I am using Deblock_QED MT2 to deblock and Sharptools to sharpen the video. There is also significant grain throughout the footage, so I guess I'll use Removegrain.

When I open this script I receive an error that says "there is no function named Deblock_QED".

Code: Select all

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\User1\MeGUI_0.3.5_x86_WithoutInstaller_OfflinePackage\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\User1\dvd rip\Berserk Forces Full Version.d2v", info=3)
ConvertToYV12()
Last.MergeChroma(Last.PointResize((Last.width/2),(Last.Height/2)).Spline36Resize(Last.Width, Last.Height).Blur(0.5))
tfm()
tdecimate(mode=1)
Deblock_QED(uv=1)
I also am wondering if it would just be more effective to use AnimeIVTC() instead, as I haven't IVTC'd the video yet and would like to make it VFR.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Encoding MPEG-2 to X264

Post by mirkosp » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:40 pm

If you want to vfr then I suggest you to read this. There's a simple explanation from the 2pass IVTC to the timecodes muxing. Do keep in mind, however, that doing VFR AMVs can be annoyingly and pointlessly complicated, so you might want to drop the vfr idea.
You also want to resize after IVTCing. I don't quite get the point of the whole chroma resizing at all... especially not with pointresize ad blurring. I mean, sure, technically halvening the chroma like that doesn't kill chroma detail since the chroma samples are half the width and height to begin with, but resizing it like that just doesn't make sense anyway, and you're still doing an extra blur... you don't really need to use tricks to boost compression, if that's what it is.
As for deblock_QED, make sure the code here is saved in an avsi in your plugins folder, if you want it to autoload, otherwise just Import() the avs.
PS: You don't really care for the info of mpegsource, so drop that too. <.<

Anno-san
Org Profile

Post by Anno-san » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 am

I made the below script and there seems to be some combing artifacts (possibly chroma artifacts).

[code=LoadPlugin("C:\Users\user\MeGUI_0.3.5_x86_WithoutInstaller_OfflinePackage\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\user\dvd rip\Berserk Forces Full Version.d2v", info=3)
tfm(pp=6)
tdecimate(mode=1)
Deblock_QED(uv=1)
Removegrain()

Then I found some problems in this image:

1. There appear to be combing or maybe chroma artifacts. Is the tfm(pp=6) causing this, or is it the UV= parameter in Deblock_QED?
2. There are black borders at either side of the frame. What commands would crop those out?

Anno-san
Org Profile

Post by Anno-san » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 am

This image also shows major combing artifacts, despite IVTC. Also, in another video forum someone said that my graphics card was causing chroma upsampling bugs in the .vob files I ripped. That was why I used the Merge.Chroma..... commands.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Try using different parameters in the tfm:

TFM(mode=1,pp=5,slow=2,micmatching=2,clip2=tdeint(mode=2,type=3))
I'll also repeat the suggestion to remove the info parameter of mpeg2source as you don't really need it.

As for the chroma upsampling, I doubt it's the video card... it's more about the renderer that deals with it.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:20 am

Is that combing problem there before you use that mergechroma line? I've seen the exact same thing happen when I try to derainbow before deinterlacing and IVTC. If you're keeping that chroma line, make sure it comes after TFM and TDecimate. That should fix your problem I think, but it's a good idea to always do the deinterlacing and IVTC first thing after loading your source unless a filter specifically needs to go before it, which is generally only the case with dot crawl removal from what I've seen. Basically, you never want to resize vertically if your source is still interlaced.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I would think and mpeg2 source from DVD would already be in YV12, in which case you don't need the ConvertToYV12() line. Your program should tell you what colorspace the footage is in (if you're using AVSP, hit f5 to preview and the info will be displayed in the lower right).

As far as cropping goes, use Crop(0,0,-0,-0), and replace the first and third 0s (left and right) with the number of pixels you want cropped off. This must be an even number on each side because the video is YV12. It is generally better to overcrop slightly than to undercrop, but you have to be a bit careful. Also, different episodes within one anime may have different border sizes to be cropped. It is also ideal (though not entirely necessary with x264) to crop to a resolution evenly divisible by 16, such as 720 or 704.

Hope this helps!
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:33 am

Report back with screenshots after using Mirko's TFM line. I am wondering if that temporal shifting in the chroma is in the source or just a bad IVTC. That's what you're seeing tho.

Anno-san
Org Profile

Post by Anno-san » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:48 pm

I used this script and the results were still basically the same; there was an interlaced frame within every 5 frames, thus telecine. The same problem is visible using madvr. Odd though, I've never had IVTC problems before.

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\user1\MeGUI_0.3.5_x86_WithoutInstaller_OfflinePackage\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Users\user1\dvd rip\Berserk Forces Full Version.d2v", info=3)
tfm(mode=1,pp=6,slow=2,micmatching=2,clip2=tdeint(mode=2,type=3))
tdecimate(mode=1)
Deblock_QED()
Removegrain()
crop(10,0,-14,0)
Last.MergeChroma(Last.PointResize((Last.width/2),(Last.Height/2)).Spline36Resize(Last.Width, Last.Height).Blur(0.5))

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:49 pm

That final line you have is probably causing your chroma shifting issues I'd imagine. From the look of it it shouldn't be, but who knows what crazy things avs can do. Why exactly do you need VFR? It will make editing in an NLE a royal pain.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”