Converting videos for portable devices (including softsubs)

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Converting videos for portable devices (including softsubs)

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:53 pm

carnivorous wrote:Marvelous job! It works perfectly, with .ass softsubs and all. There is one thing that I can't figure out though.

For some reason the converted file ends up without ED or OP. As in, the whole chapter is fine, but the OP and ED are trimmed. And if I check the length of the video it lacks around 3 minutes compared to the source file (OP+ED). It might have something to do with the softsubs maybe? The karaoke?

For the record, the files I tried converting were 2 episodes of Toradora by the group Coalgirls ([Coalgirls]_Toradora(704x480_DVD_AAC)).

And sorry for bumping for such a stupid reason, but maybe someone else has the same issues as me. Once again, thanks for the hard work.
Let me guess: the OP and ED exist in the same folder as the episode(s), but are separate files?

It's a feature of MKV known as ordered chapters - it means that groups can sub the OP and ED once for an entire series and not waste bitrate in the other episodes by having them all link to the same OP/ED encodes. On the viewing end (at least if you use Haali's splitter or other software that supports it) you don't notice the splicing, but not every program recognizes them.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

carnivorous
Org Profile

Re: Converting videos for portable devices (including softsubs)

Post by carnivorous » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:15 pm

@Qyot27:

You are right, I'm such a dumbass! I haven't noticed the ED+OP as separate files. Now everything makes sense... thanks for the quick response!

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”