Zarx264gui Problem - No Video after Encode

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
trexx
Org Profile

Zarx264gui Problem - No Video after Encode

Post by trexx » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:49 am

Can anybody please tell me why i don't have a Video after encoding is completed.
AMVapp was installed correctly.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Zarx264gui Problem - No Video after Encode

Post by mirkosp » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:47 am

If you are using the version that comes with the AMVapp, try to get a newer version from here.

I'd say get the beta version, but remember to disable the Auto-VAQ in the advanced tab if you want to make a Constant Quality encode (which I'd suggest).
Also, some suggestions as for which Constant Quality values to use depending on your resolution:
- For SD content (480p and 576p): 18~20
- For HD-Ready content (720p): 20~22
- For Full-HD content (1080p): 22~24
Generally, those values are what you should refer to, though you might want to lower if the quality isn't good enough, or increase if you think you can still retain quality will sensibly decreasing the filesize.

Another suggestion I have is to get the latest x264 version from here and replacing it to the x264.exe that you find the in the zarxgui folder after the install.

Default settings of the gui should be fine, auto-vaq aside, but if you feel confident enough, you can make a bat and change settings following this list to decide what you should change (if you want to give it a try, I'd suggest not toying around with ipratio, bratio, deadzones and qpstep - on the other hand I'd suggest you try to set trellis to 2, subme to 10, bframes to 8 and ref to 10).

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:02 pm

I really don't see what the problem with AutoVAQ is. Yes, I read the threads on Doom9 - it readjusts CRF, but it doesn't screw it over, and from many of the posts there it was that CRF needed readjusting anyway.

mbtree (which was just committed) also performs adjustments on CRF, but both it and AutoVAQ are intended to increase the quality/ratio, not decrease it (and mbtree almost counts as black magic, quality-wise; that 67kbps clip from the Touhou anime looked unbelievable, and that was an early version of the patch - mbtree does tend to have problems with fades and doesn't yet work with b-pyramid, though, and needs the weighted P-frame prediction additions that are being worked on in x264's SoC '09 project to fix the fades issue).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:50 am

Very old versions of zarx264gui had an issue on some systems where an mp4 file was not created after encoding was completed.

This problem should not exist anymore, if you are using any relatively recent version.
If an error occurs, it should display the error in the output log.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”