Vdubmod compression settings + gabest

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
denadel
Org Profile

Vdubmod compression settings + gabest

Post by denadel » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if someone could help me with compression settings for virtualdubmod?

I have been subbing japanese music videos for four years now. My old computer crashed and I lost everything (notes with the codes, settings, filters etc), so now i don't remember how to set the right compression rates etc.
What i did was to attach the subtitles to the video in vdubmod using gabest subtitler. THen i'd choose "change the compression" (before saving), choose xvid. Tjen a small window showed saying "xvid configuration" and here someone had told me the settings for the best result when making those subbed videos. I dont remember what the profile level should be like, the zones, quantizer ratio etc.

And also, what is the best limit size (in segment output file)?
Is about 100-200 mg for a 5 min video ok?

I have also been trying to find several filters created by gabest (subtitler, deinterlace), but i cant find them anywhere. Can anyone pinpoint em in the right direction?

If someone can help i'd be forever grateful!!

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Vdubmod compression settings + gabest

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:04 am

Take VSFilter.dll and copy it to C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins - then just call TextSub in your script and give it the name of the subtitle file. That way you don't have to rely on VirtualDub filters (even though that's still VSFilter.dll, if I remember right) and perhaps more importantly, you wouldn't be messing with the colorspace.

VSFilter:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=541232

Code: Select all

AVISource("video.avi")
TextSub("videosubs.ass")
As for XviD encoding, look here:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... /xvid.html

One thing I would adjust about those settings, however, is the Maximum keyframe interval. I would use 50, not 300 - partially this is for seeking issues, but quality factors into it too. Having it set at 50 will force more frames to be encoded with a low quantizer, and thus subjective quality will go up if you give it enough bitrate to work with - heck, I set it to use 4000kbps and it rarely ever even comes close to that ceiling. 300 frames was established as a common tactic to bring down digisubs'/fansubs' filesize, because MPEG-4 ASP (which Xvid and DivX are implementations of) can take advantage of it, but at the cost of reliably-quick seeking. However, if you look at MPEG-2 streams from DVD, those streams use short keyframe intervals - partially for compatibility and standards compliance, and because it makes it easier to seek, I'm sure.

Now, the above may or may not be worth doing if you're shooting for a particular size, but the link gives a good general overview of what the options actually do. Once you understand that part, you can make an informed decision on what options you actually need. There's not really a one-size-fits-all option here unless you don't care about filesize at all, in which case I'd just say go with Target Quantizer 2, or Target Quantizer 1 if you really want to waste bits.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

denadel
Org Profile

Re: Vdubmod compression settings + gabest

Post by denadel » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:19 am

^
Thank you so much for helping me out; for all the tips and for the links. It was exactly what i was looking for!

Thank you :)

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”