VCA Updates & Questions Thread

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: VCA Updates & Questions Thread

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:38 pm

Ayanefan wrote:Is it that time of the year again? :)
Holy crap, you're alive.

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:16 pm

LOL, yes, still alive but soooooooo sad I have almost no time for AMV . :( Time to have fun watching AMVs!

Donaithnen
Org Profile

Post by Donaithnen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:07 pm

This isn't a question, but i've finished my yearly AMV VCAs spreadsheet and figured i'd share it during the Semifinals phase this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The first sheet is just a compilation of all the nominees. The other sheets have them grouped by video, grouped by creator, and a sorted list of the most popular (in terms of nominations) videos.

And since i figured out how to use VLOOKUPs this time, if you make a copy of the doc and edit the rating in the second sheet where they're grouped by video ("Nom Vids") then the "Overall Rating" value in the first sheet will automatically update. I added this feature because there are some vids in multiple categories that might be a better fit for one than another. For example,IMHO a video might be good in the Horror category but not so good in the Dance category. *cough livestream last night* ;) I put some dummy values in for the first three videos to demo the feature.

I won't be tracking my own ratings in this copy of the spreadsheet, but i'll try to add updated info for the Finals stage and again after the voting is done.

Donaithnen
Org Profile

Post by Donaithnen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Radical_Yue wrote: VCA Schedule
Nominations: Sun, February 14 – Sat, February 27
Semifinals: Sun, February 28 – Sat, March 12
Finals: Sun, March 13 – Wed, March 23
So just to clarify, since i was surprised by the same thing last year, "Sun, February 28 – Sat, March 12" means until 11:59 PM on Saturday _Eastern_ time right? So 9:00 PM Saturday Pacific time?

Thanks!

jessbabyblue
Org Profile

Post by jessbabyblue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:01 pm

Brand new to posting to the forums here but a long time AMV fan and been enjoying voting for the VCA's for quite a long time now.

I did not feel it was my place to ask originally but now I figured I would just bring it up because I'm a little concerned. A lot of the videos in this years semifinals don't seem to fit the correct category or could not be classified in that award.

There is one blatant AMV in the Best Instrumental category that clearly does not fit based on the song used having plenty of singing in it and another I would think is questionable.

Also aren't many videos in either Best Collaborative or Best MEP also not in the correct categories? Considering that there are several videos that are nominated in both categories this seems rather weird. I am just surprised that no one has pointed these problems out before or corrected things. I know its pretty late in the game now but I really love this contest and want things to not be majorly screwed up going forward!!

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Donaithnen wrote:So just to clarify, since i was surprised by the same thing last year, "Sun, February 28 – Sat, March 12" means until 11:59 PM on Saturday _Eastern_ time right? So 9:00 PM Saturday Pacific time?
Yes.
jessbabyblue wrote:There is one blatant AMV in the Best Instrumental category that clearly does not fit based on the song used having plenty of singing in it and another I would think is questionable.
I know there can sometimes be a reluctance to "name names", but it would be helpful here. Please PM me the names if you don't want to post them. Thanks.
Also aren't many videos in either Best Collaborative or Best MEP also not in the correct categories? Considering that there are several videos that are nominated in both categories this seems rather weird. I am just surprised that no one has pointed these problems out before or corrected things. I know its pretty late in the game now but I really love this contest and want things to not be majorly screwed up going forward!!
There's been a bit of confusion over these categories. The descriptions will probably be rewritten for next year.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

jessbabyblue
Org Profile

Post by jessbabyblue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:35 pm

I definitely hope I am not confused about the guidelines for the different categories. So if I am wrong then I do apologize and don't want to raise any anger.

For instrumental I am not sure if there is a defining expectation that the song used does not have singing/lyrics or very little, but I didnt remember there really ever being any nominated videos that did. It is "Athem of Anime" that I thought did not fit in the category. But if im wrong about that being a rule I apologize!!!

I know the usual confusion with the difference between being "collaborative" and an "MEP"......i just thought a single AMV could not be nominated in both categories so I just thought I would mention that. =P

Donaithnen
Org Profile

Post by Donaithnen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:43 pm

I was confused by the inclusion of both "Hard Out Here" and "Athem of Anime" in the Best Instrumental category. They're both good AMVs, they're just very wordy for a category that i thought was supposed to be only instrumental music. However i figured the semifinals voting will take care of that problem.

jessbabyblue
Org Profile

Post by jessbabyblue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:52 pm

That's exactly what I thought too. As far as I knew instrumental music was defined by being music almost totally devoid of singing. And I knew that since that AMV was a really strong one it might actually get voted into the finals.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:13 am

jessbabyblue wrote:I definitely hope I am not confused about the guidelines for the different categories. So if I am wrong then I do apologize and don't want to raise any anger.
Don't worry about it. :)
For instrumental I am not sure if there is a defining expectation that the song used does not have singing/lyrics or very little, but I didnt remember there really ever being any nominated videos that did. It is "Athem of Anime" that I thought did not fit in the category. But if im wrong about that being a rule I apologize!!!
I wouldn't call that instrumental. Sometimes things slip through. It didn't make it to finals though. (Sorry for the spoiler :))
I know the usual confusion with the difference between being "collaborative" and an "MEP"......i just thought a single AMV could not be nominated in both categories so I just thought I would mention that. =P
I'll keep it in mind when looking at the finalist lists. Thanks.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “2016 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”