Official Error Thread

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Re: Official Error Thread

Post by GloryQuestor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 pm

kireblue wrote:
AmvLuna wrote:Changing the meaning of MEP so suddenly for vca is so confusing and kinda stupid. But to have only 6 videos in MEP...meh, you guys should put the 2 categories together or do it like last year.
you can nominate whatever video you want for MEP by clicking the "all videos" tab. Its not limited to just those 6
We still do not encourage people to do that, although you can if you want. They still have to fit the definition of the category just like any other music video contest. The separation of the awards was not to "change the meaning of MEP", it is merely a mechanism by which we can separate out two distinctly different styles of video, basically the "Hell-Style" multi-track and the "Collaborative" single-track video.

Edit: Never mind all that. Yue clued me in on the fact that our rules had changed years ago, but we never really updated our actual definitions on the pages to reflect this. tl;dr, Collaborative is 2 creators, MEP = 3+ creators. The original intent was to separate out Hell-style multi-track from "collaboration" on a single-audio track project, but it was changed in 2012 to reflect the number of creators.

We are already discussing how to handle the semifinal round this year, and we will make sure that the official pages for these awards are updated to reflect the number of creators in a video rather than the style of the project.
kireblue wrote:Is there a reason why Ileia's vids are no longer listed?
At her request, we removed her videos as she did not want to compete in the VCAs this year. The system just did not catch her opt-out trigger before the nominations were posted.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:14 am

Finally finished making all my nominations, but while doing so, there were a lot of flaws that jumped out at me. They aren't errors per se, but they without a doubt cause problems. The first thing that I noticed was that , , and aren't eligible for "Best Use of Special Effects". All three of those videos would have been strong contenders for that category and probably would've either won or at least made finals. But since the uplooaders failed to select the "this AMV uses special effects" box, they aren't able to be voted on. That check box made sense 15 years ago when you had to go out of your way to add effects to a video, but in today's day and age, most videos use some kind of effect. Whether it is a mask to remove lip flap, a fade to white/ black to flash, a pan to add movement, or a crossfade to transition, almost all videos have these things (even if you don't notice them). I remember that everyone already had a debate like 5 years ago about whether some of these should count as effects, but that's not really relevant. The point I'm trying to make is that 100% raw editing hasn't been the norm for a very long time, and so that check box only serves as another way for people to improperly categorize their videos. I feel that it outlived its usefulness the moment we stopped having a "Best No-Effects" award, and it should be removed in order to stop this problem in future VCAs. A simular issue also comes up with the "Best Use of Lip Sync" category.

The next flaw that I encountered was numerous videos that you couldn't vote for anywhere because their uploader was ineligible (sometimes because of a video entry from many years prior). And in one case, I found that someone was ineligible because of a manga vid that was uploaded who's source hadn't been confirmed in the database yet (even though Manga vids count as anime inspired stills and are allowed on the site). I know that there is always a period of time where people are able to check their eligibility page to see if they have been DQed from the VCAs, but if someone isn't very active on the site, they are likely to not even know that this feature exists until its too late. I feel that it makes a lot more sense for errors for a specific video to DQ just that video and not everything that the person has cataloged.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:32 am

GloryQuestor wrote: Edit: Never mind all that. Yue clued me in on the fact that our rules had changed years ago, but we never really updated our actual definitions on the pages to reflect this. tl;dr, Collaborative is 2 creators, MEP = 3+ creators. The original intent was to separate out Hell-style multi-track from "collaboration" on a single-audio track project, but it was changed in 2012 to reflect the number of creators.

We are already discussing how to handle the semifinal round this year, and we will make sure that the official pages for these awards are updated to reflect the number of creators in a video rather than the style of the project.
I also feel that this definition is slightly flawed as well. For example: Both and were created by a group of 3 editors, but I think that most people would agree that they are undoubtedly collabs and not MEPs due to the lack of any segmentation throughout the video. So instead of having tracks, each editor contributed to every part of the video. Its would be pretty impossible to have a system automatically check for this characteristic, and so I think that upping the limitation of a collab to 3 members would be a good change. I don't ever recall seeing a video that I'd consider to be a collab that had 4 editors, and so defining a MEP as a video with 4 or more editors might work.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:30 pm

Right off the bat I screwed up by nominating for my picks for "character profile" when I was actually in the action video voting section. So you'll probably see these show up in the nominations even though not a single one of them is eligible for that category:
VIDID = 199112, 197788, 199398, 197525, 199996

You probably would have cut these from the next round of voting anyway but I thought I'd try to save you the trouble in advance. Sorry!

veravero
Org Profile

Post by veravero » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi there, I have just noticed that my video (Dirty Fantasy) got into the Multi-editor project category. But this video is originally done by me - and I mean that I'm the only author of this video. It's not a MEP. Please update it's category accordingly.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:58 am

Not really an error per say, but First Video semi-finalist http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... _id=198566 the link is taken down on YT, at least for the US. Not sure anything can really be done about it, but due to this I will not be streaming it as I cannot grab a copy.

This is a major drawback though for entries being allowed to compete without local links and no verification of the validity of the external link.
ImageImageImageImage

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:58 pm

ngsilver wrote:Not really an error per say, but First Video semi-finalist http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... _id=198566 the link is taken down on YT, at least for the US. Not sure anything can really be done about it, but due to this I will not be streaming it as I cannot grab a copy.

This is a major drawback though for entries being allowed to compete without local links and no verification of the validity of the external link.
It is a drawback, but there may still be a copy somewhere even when it's not available here. It might have been shown at a convention contest or event showing, they might have shown the video to others themselves, or they may have it on a personal page somewhere on the Net (or even another YT page). Whatever the case may be, we assume it existed or was shown somewhere during the year, so it still has a place in the VCAs. We can only encourage the members (especially in the semi-finals) to verify their links are good and let us know if they need help.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:39 pm

veravero wrote:Hi there, I have just noticed that my video (Dirty Fantasy) got into the Multi-editor project category. But this video is originally done by me - and I mean that I'm the only author of this video. It's not a MEP. Please update it's category accordingly.
Removed. Thanks.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:46 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:It is a drawback, but there may still be a copy somewhere even when it's not available here. It might have been shown at a convention contest or event showing, they might have shown the video to others themselves, or they may have it on a personal page somewhere on the Net (or even another YT page). Whatever the case may be, we assume it existed or was shown somewhere during the year, so it still has a place in the VCAs. We can only encourage the members (especially in the semi-finals) to verify their links are good and let us know if they need help.
I understand the reasoning and it makes sense. While we are a USA site we also cater to the world at large and at least Mirko can confirm the video is available outside the USA. It just seems unfair to me that I basically have to throw out a chance to vote because of it. But it is also true it's on the editor to make sure their links are viewable to everyone. So yeah, not really much can be done about it. Considering results from previous years one could say the USA vote doesn't even matter so much ^^()
ImageImageImageImage

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 pm

The Break the Rules MEP is listed as a collab finalist as well as an MEP Finalist.
Nomura is listed as a Trailer / Commercial finalist, but shows no elements at all for those.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Return to “2016 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”